Chris Heapy's site

I notice today that Chris's site is now no longer available so the reference info that was there has gone as well as the buying / selling bit that went just under a year ago.

Did anyone find out what the final story was - I still feel it is a shame if he felt he wasn't appreciated.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Andrew, I think John has a copy of the entire site downloaded somewhere. I think (correct me if I'm wrong John, I'm just assuming that its you doing it!) that he may also be in the process of setting it up on another server, but not all the links are working yet. Try this link for the mainpage:

I never knew Chris as I only came on these forums recently, but having visited his site a number of times I feel that it would be a great shame if the information that he took the time to provide was lost. He clearly put a lot of work and skill into it all, and I for one would gladly give him my vote of appreciation.

Regards

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

It would be a criminal waste if the huge amount of information residing on Chris Heapy's site was to be lost, and I'm delighted if someone (John?) has been public-spirited enough to preserve it. More power to their elbow.

Mike

Reply to
mike.crossfield

John did take a copy of the site for his own reference using Teleport Pro. This can be read but only if you have Teleport Pro. I can safely say on John's behalf we aren't going to try to replicate the non ads content of his site. It's enough work as it is! The link to the NTL version was probably Chris setting up a parallel site which I know he tried but had trouble making the perl script work. That's why there's nothing behind it.

As to your original question Andrew I don't know what happened. John and I tried to contact him on many occaisions via many routes but never got any reply.

Regards

Charles

Charles Ping

I think we have two or three years worth of the adverts stored as well.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Please read this in the spirit in which it is intended, and acknowledging that this information may well be time-limited (i.e. it might expire/not work at any moment). Chris' site is semi-up-and-running at

At the time of writing, this gives you an index (much like a directory listing) of all his files. You can download these individually if you want to, or you can use something like HTTrack
which will do it for you.

Now, and I apologise in advance for shouting, DO NOT DO THIS, PLEASE. The total quantity of 'stuff' on the site is somewhere between 50 and

90Mb. Chris may have a download limit set by his ISP. If everyone who reads this subsequently downloads his entire site, he will be in trouble. I do not think that is fair considering the resource he provides.

If someone can provide the appropriate quantity of space and bandwidth, it would be possible to make a mirror site. I can send a CD to anyone (within reasonable limits) who wants to do this.

HTH.

Reply to
John Montrose

NTL don't run much in the way of server side services, so I'm not surprised perl didn't work.

I took a snapshot with wget - so it just appears as a bunch of static files and can be read off disc with any browser. It seems to mostly work but there may be clever stuff that's been broken by taking this simple approach. There's about 40 meg of it.

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

No problem to set up another site etc, but what about Chris' permission etc??

Peter

Peter A Forbes

We would have no problem hosting this site for "free" it can sit on one of our web servers, we have all the web side scripting it would need. Permission however to reporduce may be a good idea.

Kind Regards James

James

We would have no problem hosting this site for "free" it can sit on one of our web servers, we have all the web side scripting it would need. Permission however to reproduce may be a good idea.

Kind Regards James

James

permission

James,

The problem seems to be though that Chris Heapy has cut himself off from contact within the model engineering fraternity and doesn't respond to emails or postings. I know John Stevenson and Charles Ping tried on many occassions to contact him before setting up their excellent 'Heapy Substitute' adds pages at :

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson