Collet confusion.

Yes Peter that's true about the VAT and the 18 limit and this will cover some of the cheaper articles but when you get into the realms of
collet chucks and sets of collets the 18 limit doesn't apply.
I bought two pipe centres, even though the seller agreed to combine postage he didn't as that is where they make up some profit. Both centres were absolute junk you could see the wobble spinning them by hand. No contact afterwards other than a cryptic remark "Why you not tell us ?"
I left negative feed back and at this time the seller was also able to, they gave me negative feedback saying I hadn't contacted them.
So by the time I had paid two lots of shipping, two lots of VAT, two lots of handling just to throw these in the bin proved a costly experience that I'm not prepared to undertake again.
I replaced one from Chester and one from Chronos at Warwick last year and finished up paying less than Mr Hong Kong Wong charged and got better value to boot.
PR.
--
P Riedie
P Riedie wrote:

FULL ER25 COLLET SET http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FULL-ER25-COLLET-SET-15-PCS-CNC-MILLING-LATHE-NEW-A05_W0QQitemZ120273119058QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116 16.50
There's usually a better and slightly cheaper 13-piece set too.
ER32 COLLET SET (10 PCS) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ER32-COLLET-SET-10-PCS-CNC-MILLING-LATHE-NEW-A06_W0QQitemZ120277987929QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120277987929&_trkparmsr%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 13.00
ER25 and ER32 collets chucks, in straight shank, MT2, MT3, R8, are widely available for less than a tenner.
You have to add postage, but for light things, especially ER25 collet sets, the price is still remarkably low. Don't combine postage where it takes the total price over 18 though!
I have bought half a dozen ER chucks and sets, from 3 different HK sellers - they are all of acceptable quality. And cheap as ninepence.
No guarantees, YMMV
-- Peter Fairbrother

Dammit! That must mean that my 13mm-12mm ER32 must have been incorrectly laser marked then , as it grips 1/2" perfectly<VBG>.
One point worth mentioning, although each collet has a full 1mm range, they have more gripping power close to the larger end of the size than the smaller end. There is information relating to this somewhere on the Rego-Fix site.
Peter

Given that I've go 65 imperial 5C collets and 25 metric ones and would still struggle with off sizes, one could stump up for a set of half sizes and still be ahead of the game (if anyone sold them)
Mark Rand RTFM
On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 14:58:48 +0100, Mark Rand

I was scratching my head wondering how you were using 5Cs on a Myford, then I remembered that you bought a CVA didn't you?
Peter

have you missed the HLV rebuild saga? I assume thats where they'll be used, assuming its finished ;)
Dave
On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 10:49:15 -0700 (PDT), dave sanderson

With interest, but I got that wrong didn't I? It was Charles who got the CVA
Peter
On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 19:24:22 +0100, Peter Neill

Yup. I thought about a Hardinge but went for a CVA.
Charles
Peter Neill wrote:

My Hardinge collets are imperial by 1/64ths, the full set has never left me short of a collet of the right size. Though an exact fit will always give you the very best grip of course.
I hate to think about how many years it took me to afford the full set for the lever operated collet, but have never regretted it.
--
Karen

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.'
I was about to put some imperial F type collets on eBay, but (not knowing anything about this type of collet) I assume that I need to do more than just say "F type". Can anyone enlighten me about the critical dimensions for sub-types?
If anyone's interested in them they were made by Perfos. 3 sizes: 1/2, 9/16, 5/8.
Dave