Colouring for anodising

I am currently building the Jan Ridders design "Otto" a 12cc IC engine and would like to home anodise the ally parts. Yellow (gold), Red and
Black.
I assume from what I have read that food dyes will be good for the yellow and red, but what about the black?
Any suggestions?
Also any problems that I should watch for when anodising?
Richard
Richard Edwards Wrote:

Hi Richard, I seem to recall that cold water dyes from a haberdashers are the things to use, Dylon is I think a trade name to go for. This stuff, which comes as a powder in a small Alumnium container, is also useful for changing the colour of an epoxy gkue, when you want to repair such things as Bakerlite. I repaired the box for my slip gauges using a maroon mixed with some black, fairly good match and certainly better than a broken lid. Dare I say "ask your mother" or perhaps in this day and age it had better be yoiur Grannie. about such things as clothes dying. Ned Ludd
--
ned ludd
On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 14:30:59 -0500, ned ludd

Thanks Ned, Good option, I know exactly what you are talking about, I remember those little Al containers well. Big coloured disc on the top IIRC.
Grandmother and Mother unfortunately both long gone to that wash house in the sky. Good option for colouring glue as well. I think a search in town is called for on Wednesday after a visit to the dentist! Only time I ever go these days <G>
Richard
Richard Edwards Wrote:

Hi Richard, Please don't mention the "D" word, not had much joy with those people. One died in a power boat race, the next ended up serving time for fraud! What a life? Ned Ludd
--
ned ludd

Isn't there someone around this neck of the woods who makes optical bits that are anodised black? Sure I've read about it but can't remember where.
Henry
Dragon wrote:

Yes , he had a brilliant website with heaps of good info on anodising at home .Unfortunately he has gone commercial and the website has been removed . From what I remember about black is that the best black was obtained from the proper dye used in the anodizing industry rather than a laundry dye .
The old URl is http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize99.html
here is a website that is still ok and working http://astro.neutral.org/anodise.shtml
--
Kevin (Bluey)
On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 21:37:27 +0930, "Kevin(Bluey)"

Thank you to all that responded. I will source some Dylon on my next (rare) visit to town.
I think I have everything
About 6 litres Sulphuric acid left over from a set of new batteries supplied dry. A Variac to feed a 500watt 240/12-0-12 transformer (Ex Inverter) (Should give me the ability to control the current by changing input voltage A bridge rectifier 30A rated A 25 watt .1R resistor for current monitoring 25 litres of De-ionised water (ex battery top up stock) Loads of lead flashing Loads of AL bar to thread for electrical connections Blu-tack to plug tapped holes to stop them going undersize Buckets and bins Rubber gloves Caustic Soda Bicarbonate of Soda
Main problem is a well ventilated area and access to the sink <G>
Currently surface finishing all parts with a variety of abrasives, wire wool and buffer.
Watch this space!
Richard

There's also a yahoo group - maybe someone there could help.
-adrian

[cut]
The Internet archive at http://web.archive.org/ can retrieve old versions of that page. Try
http://web.archive.org/web/20071113063843/http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize99.html
It is indeed an interesting page.
Alan
Alan Bain wrote:

http://web.archive.org/web/20071113063843/http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize99.html
Alan , Thanks for that ,brilliant fancy being able to pull up removed web pages what next . wonderful technology.
Now bookmarked . kev.
--
Kevin (Bluey)
Alan Bain wrote:

http://web.archive.org/web/20071113063843/http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize99.html
Well that's wierd I went and checked the old URL and the site is working again .
--
Kevin (Bluey)

Ok I just found that that the URL above needs the 99 removing and the website works ok . So it should be http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html
--
Kevin (Bluey)

Woolies used to sell Dylon, but we know what happened to them.... Frost restorers equipment, sell kits and consumables for home anodising. http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID 41&frostProductName=Aluminium%20Anodising%20kit%20(5%20litres)&catID=&frostCat=&frostSubCat=&subCatIDconsumables listed separately. Anthony

Ive not tried it, but inkjet refill inks are supposed to work well. if you use dylon dont add the salt, just use the dye in a fairly strong mix.
Dave