Conventional placement of table feed on small mill

I have been in the process of refurbishing a Westbury vertical mill (not a Dore-Westbury) which is the original version with dovetailed slides.

The cross feed screw is LH to clockwise rotation moves table away from the operator. The table feed screw is RH which appears somewhat counterintuitive.

In reassembling the table components it appears possible to assemble with the table feed handwheel on the left or the right. Is there a convention?

As the owner of two Lorch-Schmidt lathes with right handed feedscrews I know all about the hazards of non-standard configurations (especially noticeable when a vistor parts something off).

Alan

Reply to
Alan Bain

Imagine you are standing in front of and to the right of the mill, and the wheel is on the right hand side. Clockwise rotation moves the table away from you.

-- Peter F

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

You want clockwise to wind the saddle towards the column and the table from right to left if the handwheel is on the right hand end.But,normal convention is to have the table handwheel on the left and to turn it anti-clockwise to bring the table towards you.

Reply to
mark

I've run several small company model shops that were open to the engineers, who didn't use them enough to remember the controls. So I marked diagonal arrows next to the handles to relate crank to table motion.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

eh?

I just googled "milling machine" images; about half the manual machines had table handwheels on both ends, but every single one which had only one table handwheel had it on the right.

Unless my computer is back-to-front somehow ... or my left and right are confused ... by "right" I mean if I face the mill the handle is nearest to my right hand.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Thanks for confirming -- that is what I would have considered as reasonable behaviour.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Bain

In article , Peter Fairbrother writes

Peter,

Mine (Emco FB2) certainly has its single handwheel on the right (feed motor on right) and works the normal way, i.e. clockwise moves it away from the handwheel.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Every single milling machine I have ever worked,if it has only one handwheel,has it on the left end of the table when you face the machine.The right hand end is usually clear as that is where the gearing for a rotary table or dividing head is placed. I am not talking toy turret mills or mill drills here but machines like Cincinnati,Parkson,Brown & Sharp.

Reply to
mark

Peter,

My Centec 2A had the X handwheel on the left - the power drive gearbox and motor hang off the right end :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Jim, looks like our little 2As are 'proper' milling machines, then! :)

Roy

Reply to
elj221c

My Mikron mill has the handwheel on the left and the power feed gearing on the right. David

Reply to
stereotype