placement of vertical dimension on drawing

I have a square on a drawing and want to dimension the right side. I select "smart dimension", click, and move the dimension to the right. The text placement is to the left of the dimension line. I cannot figure out how to get the text on the right side of the dimension line (which seems to me to be the appropiate place for the dimension).

thanks...

Reply to
dlevy

if good ol' bob zee is reading this correctly... you have a dimension with the text outside of the arrows. the text has a line pointing at that has a 90=B0 angle pointing down toward the arrows (or up depending on where your text is). click the point where these two lines meet. this will flip the text from one side to the other.

if you select the dimension to turn it green, large dots will highlight 'control points' to allow the modification of certain behaviour.

bob z. p=2Es. they had training, i have google.

Reply to
bob zee

The "control points" don't do what I'm trying to accomplish. Here is a picture of a vertical dimension with the text on the left side of the . Imagine the dimensioned part to the left of this picture. I want the text on the right side of the dimension line.

/\ | | X | | | \/

thanks....

dlevy wrote:

if good ol' bob zee is reading this correctly... you have a dimension with the text outside of the arrows. the text has a line pointing at that has a 90° angle pointing down toward the arrows (or up depending on where your text is). click the point where these two lines meet. this will flip the text from one side to the other.

if you select the dimension to turn it green, large dots will highlight 'control points' to allow the modification of certain behaviour.

bob z. p.s. they had training, i have google.

Reply to
dlevy

ah, yes. very clear now. in the feature manager, right below the 'dimension text' dialog box are a few options for text placement. maybe these are what you are after.

bob z.

Reply to
bob zee

That doesn't do it either. I can't believe SW can't do this........

Reply to
dlevy

This is the "ISO" standard dimensioning style where the text is aligned with the arrows and the text is "above" the dimension line. Solidworks is just following the standard.

dlevy wrote:

Reply to
Jason

I found another similar issue of placement. When placing a hole description there are times when it would look better to have the leader start on the left of the description and other times on the right of the description. I call the VAR and they said that this was not possible to manually select... I am still surprised that there is no control over this. Unless some of you have found how to control this?

Thanks,

Ed

Reply to
Ed