Coolant pumps etc.

I'd had a frustrating 3 days with no power. On Thurs & Fri I told myself I could catch up a bit with work at the weekend, but we didn't get reconnected until 8pm yesterday. I didn't fancy 'real' work today, so decided to catch up a bit with workshop jobs. First off was finishing off the CVA lathe. I'd fitted an inverter drive a couple of months ago, but hadn't sorted out the 3-phase coolant pump. I had put wiring in to run it from single phase with a phase shift capacitor for the third phase, but then picked up a little Mitsubishi inverter from ebay for a tenner or so. I got that wired in & running, just using a contactor in the supply & a fixed speed 'permanently on' setting. It's very tempting to arrange for variable speed to adjust the coolant flow, I would have done it if the new control panel I made had room for a speed pot. I could just about squeeze one in if I started again with a new panel, shunting everything along towards one end but that's quite a bit more work. Has anyone done this (Variable speed drive on coolant pump) & if so was it worth the trouble?

Other than that, a dedicated socket for the CVA (wiring was already in place) and starting to properly level the DSG finished the day off.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

How about using a pot with integral switch, radio style? Say, like RS part number 522-0580. Do you get a whole £45 of the electric board to compensate you for your lack of power?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

That sort of idea has floated through my mind, I may yet do it. I've spent good money on the dual push-button for the contactor & wired it all in, I'd hate to see that money & effort wasted ;-(

Dunno, I believe it starts at 25 quid for 48 hours. Might or might not be enough to pay the excess on your policy if you claim for lost food in the freezer. Won't cover the fact that my mobile phone has died after running the charger from a portable genny, but at least my freezer was OK .

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech