Friction fit drive gear

Hoping the people in this news-group can help:-

I have a pair of stepper motors with a gear wheel fitted to the drive shaft - the gear just seems to be push fitted on to the shaft (I cant see any spline or other attachment). The shaft is 5/32" (just a tad less than 4mm) The the motors have had it - so i want to replace them with something else. There seem to be a few motors about on ebay with apparently the right shaft size - will I simply be able to pull the gear off the old shaft and push it on the new? or will the act of removal spoil an "interference" fit?

An alternative is to get motors with a 5mm shaft and bore out the gear wheel somehow - how would I do this accurately enough?

Hoping someone here has done something like this before.

Steve

Reply to
rocketry

drive

It's probably fitted with Loctite or something similar. Bond usually breaks down with the application of gentle heating - about 130 deg C iirc

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

The gear can be installed on the new shaft with Loctite Sleeve Retainer. You may never get it off though, so no mistakes!

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Steve, The gear will be pressed on. I have removed several by placing the motor in a small vice, and prizing the gear off with 2 large screwdrivers. You must pull equally on both. Refitting will still enable the gear to be tight on the shaft, as the torque is quite low. Jack

Reply to
stackerjack