FS: Harrison H mill (and may an Elliott shaper)

I'm buying several items from the (Hampshire) workshop of someone who's recently given-up. One of the items I don't want is a smallish Harrison Horizontal mill which appears to be in good condition (unfortunately I don't have table size info but it looked larger than my Tom Senior M1); there's also an Elliot 10M shaper that I'm undecided about - is anyone interested?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

So nobody's interested in a Harrison mill

- there's not much time left.

On a related topic, has anyone got a spare vertical head for a Harrison mill?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Harrison vertical heads are worth more than the mills - it's always the way. You can, of course, bolt a Bridgy head to the overarm. The horizontal mills with the universal table are much rarer than the fixed table type. Nearly bought one once but went for an Elliott instead

Regards

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

I thought about offering to be second in line for the Elliot 10M. But, to be honest, I'm not sure that it would be a major advance on the 10" Royal that I've got at the moment, even if it was 20 years younger and a bit heavier.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

An interesting idea but I think I'd rather buy a Bridgeport than mess-about mounting the head - unless the heads are fairly easy to come by? I decided not to take the mill, so for the next week or two there's what appears to be a nice 3 phase horizontal mill available near Portsmouth. It's now partly dismantled (table, knee and overarm removed) but the column and stand are still pretty heavy. Let me know if you're interested and I'll pass it on.

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Bridgeport heads can be found. Not on every street corner but probably more easily than harrison vertical heads. I have this setup on my Elliott and it works very well

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Harrison vertical heads are crap. Other then the very rare quill feed model that was fitted to the vertical only machine none of the others had a quill feed. So doing something like valve seats in a motorcycle cylinder head you have to resort to angle plates and bent bits of dexion and chicken wire. Fine if you are working on Triumphs but chicken wire isn't accurate enough for something like a Velo.

Remember there have been more Bridgy heads built than milling machines, some were sold as hang ones for other makes and some machines had multiple heads for production work. Three heads were quite common and I believe they did a four head. model.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Charles Have you got a picture of the Bridgeport head mounted on your Elliot? Sounds interesting as the vertical attachment on my Sturdimill has no quill so I would be interested in a similar conversion. Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

Somewhere I have one but not on this PC. I'll dig them out tonight.

It's a simple converion with two "ifs".

1/ There has to be enough meat on the end of the overarm to machine a locating surface. I got the BP "knuckle" aswell and sliced off the circular tee slot bit. The head will tilt but not nod. Also anything that extended out loses rigidity somewhat.

2/ Don't expect the power feed on the BP quill to be much use. It's not very powerful and is only rated to drill a 3/8" hole in steel. OK for finish boring but not much else. I'm currently engineering a vertical power feed to the knee to over come this problem. A BP head has limitations and it'll be a toy compared to the Sturdimill one.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

The Harrison horizontal mill is still available - the specs are here:

It appears to be in very good condition, but is sold "as seen".

3 phase. The knee, over-arm and table have been removed ready for transportation.

The guy's asking £40 but the buyer must collect. It needs to be removed from a shed, taken across a small area of lawn, down a couple of small garden steps and then out through a side-gate to the road; so a few planks and rollers will be needed.

Contact Andy Wright 01962 815164 (day)

Dave (no connection with the seller)

Reply to
NoSpam