J&S 540 grinder problem

My elderly Jones & Shipman 540 surface grinder has suddenly started throwing a substantial amount of oil out from under the LH end of the table, on every stroke. I know there are one or two 540 users here - have any of you encountered this problem, or had one of these to bits so you might be able to give a clue as to what has failed? If it's likely to be a major problem, it might be worth me looking around for another grinder as prices seem to have fallen through the floor in recent months. A stated, it's a very old machine.

Thanks Tim

Tim Leech

I don't know ..left hand could mean a whole lot of things

But I suspect piston seals are on the way out .

They are a gland type seal ...so you may get results from tightening them ........but plate over the seal distorts when you do this ...and whole lot only held together by tiny screws.

The seal kit is cheap any hows.

The best place to buy these from are ones and shipman themselves the spares they sell are good reasonable prices unlike other manufacturers

Think its about =A37 a side .....and =A313 or =A314 for the piston rings .=2E.........the piston rings don't show up as leaks though its a double acting piston ... the piston rings control blow-by...........so with new rings you will get a stronger less weak movement of the table ..

You don't necessarily have to take the table off to replace the seals .

But it is advisable ...because the rod ends are of soft easily bendable metal........... if you take the table off ............just lifts off after loosening the bolts on the actuator rod ends.....then the ...you can then make sure these ends of the rod are strait when you put it back again.......and clean out all the mess under the table ... heres some pics

When you put it all back again ...only tighten the rod ends loosely in thire slots ... operate the machine ...and observe the rods going in and out ...and tighten them in a position that gives a happy medium ...so they don't bent as they go in and out ....if you don't then it will push on the seals and cause first leaks again then wear.

Any more questions ..just email me and you can have my telephone number .=2E

all the best.mark

Reply to
mark

To add to what Mark has already told you.These seals are designed to leak a bit IIRC and the excess lubricates the slides before running back to the tank.It might be the return hole is blocked or excessive leakage or a combination of the two. Mark.

Reply to
mark

Very helpful

Many thanks Tim

Tim Leech

Excellent, have bookmarked that for when I start work on my 540. As funds have completely dried up I might get around to sorting out some of the stuff in the workshop instead of buying more!!

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele