Supplier for rotary switch and digital panel meter?

I've spent the last 30 mins going through RS, Maplin and Farnell sites without success - HELP! I need a 2pole 4way rotary switch that's rated at 600V (negligible current, break_before_make) and a cheap AC digital panel meter (3 or 4 digit) that I can use for a voltmeter to measure up to 600V (with suitable external divider). Can anyone point me at a supplier?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Kraus and Naimer or Namer are the big name in rotary switches.Very helpful and you can buy direct or go through an agent.Got a website somewhere. Mark.

Reply to
mark

Rapid Electronics is the only other one I know of......

Reply to
Michael

Plus Craig & Derricott and also Moeller (Used to be Klockner-Moeller)

Plus Craig & Derricott and also Moeller (Used to be Klockner-Moeller)

Peter

Peter A Forbes

AC digital panel meters are not cheap, analogue meters on the other hand are cheap as chips, they cost us =A31.85 for an RMS reading meter with 1.5% accuracy!.

I presume you want the switch to select which phase the meter will indicate?, if so there are pre-wired standard switches for this purpose, normally 6 position to show phase-phase and phase-neutral. Look for an electrical panel builders or generator builder in your area, these are so common that they probably have them as standard stock.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Thanks to one and all. I've ordered a Moeller "voltmeter switch" (obvious when you think about it!) £11.98 -25% +17.5%.

No joy on a suitable DPM so maybe I'll resort to either an analogue moving iron voltmeter or butchering a cheapy DMM.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Greg wrote: ... snipped

... snipped

Any suggestions for where to get a 0-600VAC analogue meter?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

They should be in Farnell or RS, in several sizes and shapes, over priced of course. As I suggested before try any local panel builders or genset builders as these are standard items.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Being a cheapy sort of person, I'd butcher a £4.99 DMM so it only read the ~600v range, then take the switch out and use that - I assume you want to measure four different 600v voltages?

A big resistor+diode or capacitor+bridge, with a storage electrolytic and a zener will make a suitable 600V-9V power supply. 4 components, can't be bad :), but be careful of the meter earthing. A bleed resistor helps too.

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Actually I think that's exactly what he does want, to display all the phases on a single meter, a very common practice hence the availability of a pre-wired switch to do it.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

.

Eh??

I wrote:

Being a cheapy sort of person, I'd butcher a £4.99 DMM so it only read the ~600v range, then take the switch out and use that - I assume you want to measure four different 600v voltages?

A big resistor+diode or capacitor+bridge, with a storage electrolytic and a zener will make a suitable 600V-9V power supply. 4 components, can't be bad :), but be careful of the meter earthing. A bleed resistor helps too.

A challenge, for Greg only: Why does a bleed resistor help?.

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

My mistake, I mis read your post and thought you were saying he didn't want to read more than one voltage so could use a single meter directly.

A real challenge for you, can you grow up and stop acting so childishly?

Greg

Reply to
Greg

RS supply led panel meters that read 600V AC as part number 207-9985

Don

Peter Fairbrother wrote:

Reply to
Don Recardo

Thanks Don but £142 is too much for the application.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Lascar Electronics do a suitable panel meter for about =A345 - the DPM

970 which will handle 600V~ with an external divider.
You need to check with Moeller the minimum current at which the switch will work reliably and size your divider resistors accordingly.

Bob

Reply to
BobKellock