J&S 540 Weight

Anyone know what the weight of a J & S 540 grinder is please?

And do they easily break down into a few lumps for easier transport, i.e. table off etc? Thanks

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Peter, My book says 770 Kgs. Not easy to dismantle anything and be VERY aware that the table just sits on its guide and stays there by gravity. Any attempt to lift by the table will result in a bent hydraulic cylinder rod. The base is a b****r to move arround as the three point arrangement doesn't lend itself to rollers etc

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

weighs maybe a ton gross with diaform head on it, auto rise and fall head and full tank of oil .

make sure you drain the oil ...because it don't travel well with the oil, as it has a semi open tank.

would not advice dismantling.

all the best..mark

Reply to
mark

Fitting one of them in aswell will be a squeeze won't it?

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Reply to
Peter Neill

Yes, I'd definitely start competing with JS for lack of floor space if I were to get a 540 in the workshop too

I haven't got one yet, just thinking about the possibility, but I'd have to get rid of the Eagle grinder first, and then wriggle the Myford round at a bit of angle, and I might just squeeze it in to the space left.

Andrew and Mark, thank you very much for the advice. I was wondering whether it would fit in my hi-top transit, and thought I should be OK for height. It was unloading at this end from the transit that would be interesting, and I was hoping it would neatly dismantle into manageable lots. Looks like that's not going to be the case.

Weight is the other deciding factor, as the transit 80 has a max payload of 880kgs I think (including driver) and the driver is a rather porky 95kgs of that!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

The footprint isn't much bigger than an Eagle is it? At "only" a ton you should be able to manage to get it out of the van and onto the drive. A low trailer might be easier though. A two ton hoist on the one ton setting can reach quite high (I think about 8ft) which may be the way to go.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Note the way it's slung ...ropes go thru eye-bolts at top and under cast hooks on front of machine.

Gantry specially constructed for that 540 ...been used many times since...including picking up a two ton felder woodworking plainer/ router station, onto the back of a Renault pick-up ...had to make extensions for the legs lol.

thought transit was well more capable than a ton ..

it's a long way down from them pick-ups as well ...centre of gravity when travelling mmmmmmmmmm

get a mattress and lay it down

I would shit-it.

all the best.mark

Reply to
mark

the

Following on from Mark's gantry suggestion. Remember that gantry that you bought at the Grabor Plastics sale and passed to a local toolmaker? Time to borrow it back I suspect.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

I brought mine home in a hi-top van, forget the make but wasn't a transit. Do measure carefully first as they are quite high. I had to remove the tin top from mine to get it into the van. The only way to get it in and out is with a forklift though. I was OK at work, but had to hire one to unload it at home. Try your local plant hire firm if there is one fairly close, it was one of the building site ones I had. It transported without any hitches, I think I strapped it down to the pallate it was sat on quite firmly though. Bugger of a job to get it of the pallate -a gantry and one ton hoist would have been very welcome. Watch workshop height with lifting gear as well, the lifting points are quite high on them. Centre of gravity is quite high as well, which makes it fun. As with most machines it can be moved around reasonably easily by one man and a big crow bar once on the deck.

I just need to get around to re-wiring it for single phase now, and I can actually use it. Keep getting distracted by other machines though. A manumold went in a couple of weeks ago, and before that was the cnc mill -you know how it is

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Charles I may well be getting shot of my 504 in the near future. I have Stuber coming soon. Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Thanks Bob but it's Peter Neil that's contemplating a 540. I'm fresh out of space!

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

I thought Bob was offering a Peugeot 504 in place of the Volvo

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I can offer a Merc 260e though !!!! Bob