Just got my first milling machine - a Centec 2A

Cheshire Steve wrote:

Dunno. The stuf that was in it when I got it, has not leaked out enough to motivate me to search out a refill product.
When the time comes, I'll use what I can get that comes close to matching the specs demanded, I suppose.
Cheers Trevor Jones
I looked into getting a 2A with a quill feed but they proved very expensive for such a small mill, (the last two went on ebay for 650+ ) and so I went for an complete Elliott 00 although I will have to engineer a micrometer feed for the quill. I got what I thought was a reasonable deal. Even so another Elliott 00 in now on ebay with the horizontal support , arbor , quill stop assembly, and top cover missing is already passing the 310 mark with 4 days to go. Some Old metal commands a vast premium (the smaller it is the much more costly per Kg) yet others equally or even more capable do not.
Derek (A Barker not a Myford owner)

Trevor Jones wrote:

Steve
I would try to get a full arbour. I have used a stub on mine but having the support of the overarm makes a big difference to rigidity. The stub can handle slitting saws but I had a half-inch wide side and face running last night. Not something I'd want to do with a stub arbour.
Clamping the job to directly to the table helps with the lack of elbow room. Having said that I got one of the raiser blocks talked about in an earlier reply and it has made a big difference to the machine. Just changing to horizontal milling without having to take the vertical head off speeds things up no end. Now with the extra room I am on the same hunt as Trevor for as decent vice - top of the list for Harrogate.
Mine came with a huge three phase motor that the previous owner was running on a straight forward single phase supply. He was on fuses, as soon as I turned it on my trips fell about laughing. I had a spare 2800rpm three phase which went in without any hassle so the Centec now shares a variable drive with the lathe, the 2800rpm giving a useful speed range.
I have turned mine 90deg. so I operate it from the LH. side as it were; works well for me. I could be tempted to get rid of it but only if a later, larger Centec came up at the right price.
Hope you enjoy using it once it's clean.
Cheers John Blakeley

Oh I will enjoy it John .. I have been waiting for this. I have a queue of jobs. I am very happy to have it. And being 2MT I have a lot of tooling ready to go. Just need to make some t-nuts, and sort out the oiling and wiring and bingo..off we go.
Steve
Gentlemen,
I bought a Centec 2 last year for a princely sum of 60 its in Horizontal mode which to me is not a problem as I have a milldrill to do vertical work. It also came with sales literature and a 20000 rpm grinding head attachment which I have not tried yet.
Martin P