Just got my first milling machine - a Centec 2A

Dunno. The stuf that was in it when I got it, has not leaked out enough to motivate me to search out a refill product.

When the time comes, I'll use what I can get that comes close to matching the specs demanded, I suppose.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

I've had a 2B for several years and although I look at other mills I don't think that there are any of the same size that are any better.

I use EP 80/90 oil in the quill and the gearbox, don't use grease in the quill. Keep an eye on the oil level in the quill if it leaks like mine does. (Has anyone stripped and replaced the oil seals in a vertical head as I would like to hear the pitfalls before I do mine.)

I was given the gearbox and quill oil information by a Tim Collis who at one time had a very nice 2A and was fount of information about Centecs. I've lost touch with him in recent times so if he reads this group maybe he will get in touch.

One way of raising the head is to mill a dovetail into the top of the overarm. That way gives a (small) increase in clearance between the bed and the quill and allows a quick switch to horizontal milling. The only reason I haven't done this is I would have to knock a hole through a wall into the kitchen to get clearance behind the mill and I don't think that would be appreciated!

John

Reply to
jlh45

Gentlemen,

I bought a Centec 2 last year for a princely sum of £60 its in Horizontal mode which to me is not a problem as I have a milldrill to do vertical work. It also came with sales literature and a 20000 rpm grinding head attachment which I have not tried yet.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Hi John, my first post here... I have just stripped the quill assembly from my vertical head, its fairly straightforward, remove the aluminum guard from the top of the spindle (3 cap heads) and undo the top nut, i used an angle grinder spanner to fit the holes whilst holding the spindle still with a spanner at the bottom. remove the spring and nut. Then to get the large castalated nut off I used a 5" 4 jaw chuck and tightened gently it into the grooves, be warned this is a LEFT HAND THREAD!!!!! now remove the 3 further cap heads on the top housing, revealed by removal of the previous spindle top guard and remove the housing complete with bevel gear. Then remove the small hex hed grubscrew that goes into the slot on the quill just below the quill clamp. The quill then comes out the bottom of the head. as to undoing the bearing tention nuts, i had to make up a couple of castalated "sockets" out of steel tube to undo them. then the spindle knocks out with a hide mallet. I havent obtained new oil seals yet, but here looks a good bet...

Angus

Reply to
littlekicker

Hi Angus

Thanks for the info - just what I needed and the link to the web site looks really useful.

John

Reply to
jlh45