Lathe oiler points

Hi guys.
My lathe has several oiler points, these are like small round flush
brass inserts with a small spring-loaded ball inside. They appear to
have used a couple of different sizes for some obscure reason.
I've never seemed to have much success using them, as although I have
tried a couple of different oil cans (the ones with a thumb trigger)
and conically shaped ends, after pressing the oil can tip into the
insert and pushing the ball down, most of the oil seems just seems to
'squidge' out of the sides rather than go into the hole. Have I just
got the wrong idea about HOW these need to be used?
Thanks for any useful comments
regards
Mike
Reply to
MikeH_QB
Maybe they're just blocked with old grease and swarf. Mine all work fine with that method. Not that I use them much, well ever nowadays. The lathe is so shagged anyway it seems somewhat academic.
Reply to
Dave Baker