Leadscrew Material

Hello, I'm going to have a go at making a new leadscrew for my milling machine - does anyone know what grade of steel I should make it out of? Cheers

Reply to
Nourish

When I needed a new leadscrew for my Myford I just bought a length of L/H Acme leadscrew stock from these people, and modded the ends to suit. Material is EN8.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

As Peter says, in the UK, EN8 (BS 970 080M40 Carbon Steel) is the type of material used. Basic medium carbon steel which is fairly easy to machine. If you are on the "other" side of the pond, then Stressproof

1144 is a good choice. This is a modified SAE 1144 Steel which has been stress relieved. Not sure if it is available over here though.

Have a look at this thread which covers Peter's replacement for his Myford:

It really is easier to buy a length of threaded material and adapt the ends to fit. Is it for your Marlow? if so I think that is 5 TPI and depending on the diameter may be fairly easy to get and not too expensive. Certainly worth considering as the commercial offering will have ground threads and thread cutting long lengths accurately is notoriously difficult unless you have access to some nice machinery.

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Keith, there is actually an equivalent over here which you can buy through Macreadys. It's 226M44 (BS970) and listed in their catalogue as "USACUT 45".

Its basically a 0.44% carbon, freecutting EN8. I bought a couple of lengths in 5/8", 1-1/8", & 1-3/8" for stock, and you can stick a flame over it to make it harder quite easily.

I though this would be a bit more versatile as a stock material for a model engineer than mild steel, and it cuts much nicer too.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Thanks Peter I hadn't found that one. Timely as well, I'm just about to buy a couple of lengths of "stock" so I will try some. The "mild steel" that the local stock holder delivers is "variable" to say the least and rarely cuts well. I really should have learnt by now that the "bargain" rarely is and I need to be more particular in buying stock steels. :-)

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Thanks Chaps , Yes this is for the Marlow, as I needed a nut also I've bought a tap as the 5 tpi Acme bits are too large for a 5/8 internal thread and a friend who works a very nice and large CNC lathe is going to make the shaft for me to fit the nut all nice and snug hopefully. Cheers all.

Reply to
Nourish