Lubricants for a "Superior" surface grinder spindle

I've finally got my ancient Superior surface grinder running; it's identical to this: www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/attachments/f19/18263d1261492372-very-old-surface-grinder-beacon.jpg.
Do I need any special grease for the spindle? A modern(ish) label suggests Alvania 2 or Energrease LS3 - are these available still?
The spindle has a couple of lube nipples but they aren't the type I'm familar with - there's a half-turn cap and then the nipples have plain sides so a modern grease gun can't lock-on - what do I need?
Finally, has anyone played around with automating one of these?
Dave
On Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:56:51 PM UTC+1, NoSpam wrote:

Hi Dave
Appreciate this is an old thread but I picked up a Superior grinder several months ago and have just brought it back to life. Would you happen to know where I could obtain a manual from I have tried Beacon Tools but they do not have one. Regards Steve

There are pictures and information on Superior Surface Grinder here: http://www.lathes.co.uk/superiorgrinder/ It's possible that they may have access to a photocopy of the manual although I couldn't see it in a cursory glance of their manuals page - why do they need such long pages? http://www.lathes.co.uk/manuals/ You could try emailing snipped-for-privacy@lathes.co.uk
Alan
--
snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk
snipped-for-privacy@riscos.org