Marking HSS

I've just finished sorting through some HSS gear cutters. The markings on some are scarcely legible & I would like to re-mark them before these details are completely lost. Any practical suggestions? I've got one of those Burgess/Record type vibrating engravers, it will make a faint mark using a carbide tip but not enough.

Thanks Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

Perhaps a new toy is called for:

Either that or it's back to wax, scratch & acid..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Carbon electrode out of a U2 battery sharpened and connected to a buzz box welder. Play about with amps.

Those chemical etching machines that Tom linked to, make a very nice job but they are a total rip off. A 15 quid battery charger from Halfords and a bottle of bog cleaner does the same job. See here :-

Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

John,

He recommends using mimeograph stencils to make the stencil for the etching. I haven't seen these stencils around for years since the photocopier appeared on the scene - any suggestions for an alternative?

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Just a quick reply , I have a tool that hooks to the positive post of a 12 volt car battery and you set the part against the ground, the hand piece has a point that is spring loaded. when the tool touched the part it arcs and the tip bounces up and down as you write or mark the part. Did all my wrenches and sockets etc with my initials and they have never worn off in 20 years. I can send you a photo of the thing if your interested.

Reply to
Nippler

this group has a PDF (adobe) file for an electric pencil that arcs to mark the part similar to the one I have.

Reply to
Nippler

Tim,

I have an "Actograph No 2" marking pen for this dating from the early 1960's I think. Very basic operation. The main 'box' is just a transformer with switched tappings of iirc 2v / 4v / 6v / 8v , and the 'pen' is an electromagnet with a fine tungsten point fixed to a flexibly mounted armature. You write in the normal fashion and as the pen makes contact with the work, current passes through the solenoid and it attracts the armature breaking the circuit and making a small arc on the work. Just like a bell / buzzer type thing.

A Google brought this to hand:

So they must still make them - the pen in that picture looks identical but the transformer is far more modern than mine however the writeup says 'this does not etch by vibration' whether that means its a more modern technology or if they are distinguishing between the arc etch and physical movement like a Burgess engraver I know not.

If your pockets are particularly deep at the moment I do happen to have a second Actograph No 2 - I'd hoped that they were a breeding pair but having been together in a dark cupboard for a while nothings happened yet

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thanks to all for their suggestions, I'll start with the cheapest My pockets are empty at the moment having just bought the gear cutters I referred to. Also at the Astle Park '1000 engines' do yesterday came away with a decent 14" H/V rotary table, I was vaguely looking out for a slightly smaller one but when the guy dropped his price to 35 quid to save him taking it home again, how could I refuse. Having carted it back here, I can sympathise with his reluctance. It's a heavy lift for two men.

I suppose if I had nothing better to do I could put CNC controls on the table of my little EDM, & use that!

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

down at the bottom £4.25 plus vat for a box of 50

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

You're showing your age, John When were they last called U2? That's still how I think of them, though!

Cheers Tim Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

Hello John,

Got one of these

Brand name please, I am obviously not as domesticated as you. My turn to duck this time :-)

GeoffH Norfolk, UK

Reply to
GeoffH

I have to stick with U2 because if I use the modern standards I get confused with bra sizes ;-)

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

No idea Geoff, I can talk for hours on the merits of soluble oil, trichlorethylene, and castrol R but hand cleaner with a handful of clean sawdust dropped in to make it bite is as close as I get. Next thing someone will suggest I clean the damn floor, I would if I could find it.

The article also suggests table salt.

I must admit it's something I have looked at for a while. There are no cheap alternatives in the UK. The Yanks can get these kits for about $60 but this side of the pond we are taking £130 to £250 for the same thing.

Now I've found a link to the stencils I think I'll have a punt at doing one. Like most people I have access to everything to build one, Probably the hardest bit is a working typewriter, although the old dot matrix is still working.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Thanks for the sight referance.... I think this pen will be useful to me, having to use a loupe more often every year.. :-(

-- Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device there is a fool greater than the proof.

To reply remove AT

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

As you mention EDM, you can buy kits of copper lettering to use spark eroders to spark on lettering. They consist of a set of letters and a holder (a bit like the ones for letter/number stamps). I know that DMS in High Wycombe do them, but I don't suppose they will be cheap. I wonder how long a cheap set of Chinese number stamps would last as electrodes on a low wear setting -you'd only need to touch the surface.

What we often do at work to spark lettering / symbols, etc onto jobs is to use an etched electrode. Start with a piece of copper and etch it, much as you would for an etched nameplate, then use that to spark the part (remember to reverse the text on the electrode). We get someone to make them for us, but it could be done much more cheaply if your willing to get your hands dirty. The clear OHP film that will go through printers is very good for preparing the artwork.

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Glad to hear you could use it. The sight also has a bunch of small steam engine plans. The sister site to this one has several free i.c. engine plans including one for the AmsburyV8. Working on a lost foam casting for a V8 i.c. engine myself.

Your Barnes's theorem is similar to our Murphy's law. Nothing can be made idiot proof as idiots are so inventive.

Reply to
Nippler

I've used a dentist's diamond burr in my high-speed Burgess-type drill to mark HSS. My dentist mutters when I ask for some but usually hands over half a dozen slightly used ones. (He makes enough money out of me anyway). The diamond coating doesn't last too long on HSS but a light touch is all that's needed. BTW - they're also good for grinding out small broken taps if only the tip has broken off.

Reply to
Mark Steele