ME 14 April 1949

Is there SKS out there who'd be willing to photocopy an article from the

14th. April 1949 issue of Model Engineering? I believe it's issue 2499 and the pages in question are p.452 et seq., the article is called "Building a Model Naval Gun". I have been able to obtain the 27th.January 1944 and 8th. May 1947 issues of ME, which also have articles on the naval QF gun, from TEE, but they say that the April 1949 issue is scarce. If you're willing, please contact me by email and I'll give you my postal address. I live in Canada and would like to reimburse any costs involved. TIA, Mike
Reply to
Michael Gray

I have plans for a model deck gun that I built. You can see the final product at our club webpage:

The author was S. A. Walter and the plans were from a magazine titled "The Model Craftsman", March 1945. I believe the magazine was American but I'm not certain.

The author is/was English and mentions in the article constructing parts of the model while sheltering from the Blitz.

Since I'm interested in model artillery, I'd like to propose an exchange. I'll email you the plans I have in exchange for a copy of whatever plans you have.

If interested, you can contact me at mklotz alum mit edu.

Reply to
Marv

Alas, Model Craftsman failed after a few issues. Copies are very rare now.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

According to my index the gun by S.A. Walter featured as a cover pic in 1944, issue # 2229 and then as an article in 1947, # 2389

The one Michael is looking for is 1949, # 2499 by a guy called F Surgery.

They are rare then only showing as a cover pic in 1954, # 2776 of a quick firing one by J.H. Pollard and in 1967, #3314 a model by S.S. Hardman.

I'll look thru my collection and see what I have.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Unfortunately, I have volumes scattered around those, but none of those particular ones. Such is life.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Found the one Michael is looking for. Unfortunately it's a typical article of the period, three pages, one of which is a drawing, 1/2 a page as a picture, another small thumbnail drawing and a bit of text.

I think at that period with it being a weekly they never had time to go to town on the readers articles, instead running detailed projects by paid contributors like LBSC and ET Westbury.

I'll still scan it and post it over later as I get the chance.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Thanks to all who responded. Marv, sorry I'm not really into artillery, just interested in this one gun. I have responded to John S. off-list. Again, a great bunch of guys. Mike in sunny Burns Lake, BC

Reply to
Michael Gray

You didn't mention your location in Canada. If you live in the Toronto area, the Metro Toronto Reference Library has an almost complete collection of ME back to Issue 1.

Reply to
kstrauss

Dear Mike, I have the issue in question, and can scan the article and send it to you. All I would require is the post and packing charge + =A31 for my valuable time. At a rough estimate, for airmail this would come to not more than =A35. If this is satisfactory, let me know. Tom Oliver.

Reply to
thomas