Metric 'thou'?

In article , neil f writes

I'm pretty sure this is spherical objects, since the unit was originally defined (in 1793) by the French, who definitely always spelled it "metre". As far as I can determine, it is only the USA who insist - and it is in their official definitions - on calling it a meter, which is kind of dumb since a meter is a device for measuring physical quantities. The rest of the English speaking world (including Canada) have AFAIK always used metre in their official definitions.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

What on earth is this all about? Isn't it time that somebody said where this meter bit of the English language originated?

In fact, much of the language has French roots- Norman French from near a1000 years ago but French nevertheless. In that, I submit that we couldn't spell and we still cannot but meter and metre are the same.

And Nick, Why should we use Eau de Cologne when Cologne is in Germany but 'eau' is French? And 'Eau' isn't really water but an alcoholic distillate/

But if we are having fun- English measurements are probably Middle Eastern anyway.

So that is me putting my foot in

Norman- but not French but a French landowner If you know what I mean- Harry?

Reply to
ravensworth2674

I suspect Neil is referring to the spelling of the metal not the measurement. In which case wiki makes interesting reading.

you can back your prejudices either or even both ways.

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

In article , David Littlewood in uk.rec.models.engineering writ:

If you use "meter" in Quebec, then it's off by the first available tumbril to see Madame Guillotine tout de suite.

I can just about accept "meter", but "liter" is beyond the pail. How do the 'Merkins spell "hectare"? (or acre?) Regards,

David P.

Reply to
David Powell

Nah, but my Dad was ;-)

Reply to
neil f

In article , Dragon writes

Interesting, thanks. If Neil was indeed referring to the metal and not the measure then my remarks were of course somewhat otiose (though still heart-felt!).

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Nobody's mentioned the 'International metric timber unit' of 300mm or a short foot - granted, bulk timber is dealt in m3, but it's retailed in 300mm. Just short enough that anytime you think you can get away with 6' a 1.8m won't quite do so you can throw away 11.25", still at least the 11.25" waste grew to grab some CO2 - ho hummmm.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Reply to