Missing emails - proved

Gents,

I have proved that emails sent to my 'native' address at btinternet get to me apparently 100% however emails that go to my 'public face' of snipped-for-privacy@mawson.org.uk which is redirected by 123reg.co.uk have only a 4 in 10 chance of arriving !

Is anyone else using 123reg.co.uk for their domain hosting and redirection and if so have you noticed any problems recently?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Me sir

We had a problem with ads sent via cgi script on the Homeworkshop.org.uk forms. The submitted ads go to John, yours truly and a shared Yahoo box. They were missing from the Yahoo box only and not my email. This, in my mind suggested that Yahoo was the weak link. This was proved when I added a Gmail address aswell which received ads that Yahoo Yahoo missed. I therefore blamed Yahoo and not 123 and moved to Gmail and the problem appears to have gone away. One day I'll sort out a script that sends the ad content directly to a text file on the server ready for approval but frankly that level of coding is beyond me since I'd never touched a web page at this time last year!

Regards

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

I am not a user of 123reg.co.uk but have you checked they don't do

*any* mail filtering?

--=20 cerberus

Reply to
cerberus

I am not a user of 123reg.co.uk but have you checked they don't do

*any* mail filtering?
Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Did you get my email about the free Chipmaster and equipment just round the corner from you ? ;-)

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Yes John, collected it as well as the free fully equipped CNC Bridgeport.

The real bonus was the crate of fresh kippers

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

John

How do you have your Chipmasters, boiled, roasted or fried?

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Glad to see you didn't miss out kippers or not. Talking of which, guess what we are having for tea?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Isn't that an oxymoron? ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Wrapped in newspaper with a nice bit of battered cod ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

No an Oxymoron is any employee working for BOC

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:46:43 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Mawson"

Sounds like the the old gag -' if you don't get this letter please let me know'.

I use 123-reg for hosting several domains and haven't had anything but excellent service. Have you checked the headers of the mail you did get to see if there was any pattern of undue delay anywhere in the chain?

Reply to
Henry Springer

It now (very oddly) looks as thought it was BTInternet agressively spam filtering - I've reduced the filter to it's lowest setting and mails are coming through. (as is more spam of course!)

I don't understand this as the same filtering surely is applied to emails sent direct to my native BT email address, and to emails again sent there but by being re-directed by 123Reg.

A puzzled AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Well I use Mailwasher and finally got round to filing my personal tax return on line today. I was in sympathy with Mailwashers classification of the acknowledgement email as "blacklisted"

Reply to
Henry Springer

I used to use them too, but ...

I paid for their services (registrations and hosting) with a credit card on a continuing authority. The card expired, as they do from time to time, but no-one at 123 told me the payments were not being made, and I just didn't notice - I look at the bills at the end of the month and compare them with the receipts in my wallet etc. to find if I am being overcharged, not undercharged.

Anyway, about a year later I got an email saying they were closing my account.

I found out what had happened, and offered to give them the new expiry date (the card number hadn't changed, just the card expiry date had passed). They agreed that they had not contacted me, and had not asked for or tried to collect payment at any time in the year after the first time the card payment was refused, but they said that it was beyond their power to change the situation, "the system" had given up on trying to collect, and the hosting would stop on day X and the registrations would have to be transferred when they expired.

So I use LCN instead now. 123 didn't charge for the transfers, so that was just an inconvenience, albeit it took a couple of hours of faffing about to sort.

123 couldn't even take payment for the year's hosting they had already given me, and the fees for the registrations they had renewed in the previous year (while they were not getting paid) - because, I quote: "the computer has closed the account, and it won't accept the money"!

I had no complaints about 123's email forwarding, or their service otherwise

- well, nothing that sticks in the memory - just their billing department's insane dominance by "the computer"!

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother