molding sand suggestions for suppliers

I need some molding sand as I find I need to csat a handle in aluminum I normally just cast solid shapes then machine to what ever I need
but this time its not possible and as this is a job for SWMBO Ive managed to lose my john winter book so have no idea of cost .Now I know I can make green sand but don't fancy the hard work does anyone have recommendations I,m on the essex suffolk boarder if any one knows of any foundry local I would rather oil bonded if possible
Thanks Andrew
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 02:08:04 -0700 (PDT), Andrew Bishop

You could try Hadleigh Castings Andrew http://www.hadleighcastings.com /
Peter
Add pictures here
✖

Hi Andrew,
In addition to Hadleigh you might consider Finch Seaman at Braintree their web site is http://www.fsegroup.co.uk /
I think you mean cold setting resin binded which uses a liquid resin and catalyst system analagous to the ubiquitous araldite although quite different chemistry. the old stoved Linseed "Oil Sand" is practically unused these days.
If you do indeed fancy having a go yourself John Winter supply a super service and their web site is http://www.johnwinter.co.uk /
Good luck - regrettably we only cast iron and bronze in our foundry.
Keith
Add pictures here
✖
message wrote:

aluminum
if
Andrewhttp://www.hadleighcastings.com /
Hi Andrew,
In addition to Hadleigh you might consider Finch Seaman at Braintree their web site is http://www.fsegroup.co.uk /
I think you mean cold setting resin binded which uses a liquid resin and catalyst system analagous to the ubiquitous araldite although quite different chemistry. the old stoved Linseed "Oil Sand" is practically unused these days.
If you do indeed fancy having a go yourself John Winter supply a super service and their web site is http://www.johnwinter.co.uk /
Good luck - regrettably we only cast iron and bronze in our foundry.
Keith
Andrew, You could use sodium silicate mixed sand which is set by passing CO2 thnrough it - very simple. Buy dry bagged silver sand from a builders merchant - mix in about 3% sodium silicate by weight, ram and gas simply by inverting a funnel over the mould and releasing your pub gas into the funnel via a rubber tube. I can let you have some sodium silicate (waterglass) if you don't have a local source)
AWEM
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 20, 7:52 pm, "Andrew Mawson"

That would be the ideal I had my hand reproduced in ali using this method and the detail was good when i enquired about buying some it was only in large barrels if I could purchase some of you that would be perfect or if you know of a suppler who sells small amounts as i understand it has a shelf life .
Thanks Andrew
Add pictures here
✖

need
super
builders
gas
That would be the ideal I had my hand reproduced in ali using this method and the detail was good when i enquired about buying some it was only in large barrels if I could purchase some of you that would be perfect or if you know of a suppler who sells small amounts as i understand it has a shelf life .
Thanks Andrew
Yes it probably does have a theoretical shelf life, but I have a drum I've used for years and it was ok when I last used it <G>
Send me your snail mail address by email (despam my address) and I'll post you a litre (or whatever bottle I can find) and you can refund whatever the postage is.
Regards,
AWEM
Add pictures here
✖

Andrew,
Is it "dry" sodium silicate you use or the runny stuff for doing strange things with eggs?
TIA
Add pictures here
✖

Ive
.Now
boarder
Braintree
resin
foundry.
CO2
pub
it
would
drum
I'll
refund
strange
The later - it's a syrupy liquid
AWEM
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks, I fancy giving that a go, just getting the time...
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 11:03:20 -0700 (PDT), englishfoundryman

Nah. He meant oil bonded sand (eg Petrobond or similar)
:-)
Mark Rand RTFM
Add pictures here
✖