More gear related stuff.

I'll probably need a new typing finger as well.

I meant to type EN19 like what you got. Not EN29 (unobtanium?).

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Gear's done, no answer on the width or keyway so I've made it so wide by about that big on the bore with no keyway. I'll post it to Tim in the next couple of days.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

John

I did post an answer on those, but perhaps it didn't show up at your end. 12mm thick, with keyway, 14mm bore if you weren't committed to

5/8".

I'm sure I can make it fit, got a selection of hammer sizes (as well as keyway broaches)

Many thanks

Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

Steel's ordered from Macready's EN24T. 'Twas quite cheap, they took my youngest child as part payment.

What sort of dimensions should I work to for arbours and what sort of minimum/maximum lengths, diameters and widths should I work to on gear blanks (other than DP+ 2xAddendum).

Regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

What do I owe you?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

A couple of bits of steel followed me home today. One bit too big and one bit too small. I'm setting up to cut slices off them and turn them to the right diameters and thicknesses.

Let us know what dimensions I need for arbours and I can get to work on them as well.

That'd explain the measurements then. It's bad enough that 10-32UNF works with

3/16 BSF when the threads get a bit sloppy and 10-32ASME _almost_ goes with 2BA without wondering if you've measured press-fit bearing diameters wrong :-(

In the case of the 10-32ASME/2BA closeness, the fact that a 2BA spanner fits perfectly on the locknuts on the 10-32 gib screws really does my head in....

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Started turning the first gear blank today:-

Yes the swarf is blue, I seemed to be getting the best surface finish by running at 200 sfpm, 25 thou cut and leaning firmly into the cut. The little

1/4hp Hotpoint washing machine motor on that lathe was humming a merry tune :-)

There is quite a bit of swarf to produce before all the blanks are ready for putting teeth on... A couple, like the one in the link, have things like cone clutches built in.

Can you tell me what size I need to make the arbours Tim?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

You are holding your mouth wrong.......................

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Her indoors says 'How can you tell' :-)

I was concentrating on making swarf when someone came in the shed door and started setting off cameras at me.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

To fit the gears

Actually one end needs to fit one of the collets I have. If you let me know what the bores are for the gears, I'll look to see if I have collets to suit. I usually put the blanks on the arbor & skim the OD in the lathe just to be sure they're running true with the bore, might be a bit late for that now :-( I'll send or post a pic of what's needed, it's not hard and fast as regards dimensions.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Some of the gears have bores, some have integral shafts, some have hollow integral shafts...

They all either have a bore of:-

3/8, 7/16, 1/2 or 5/8

or an OD of:-

3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8 or 3/4

or both. All in imperial inches!

Longest integral shaft is a 1/2" OD x 4 1/2" long with a 21t gear on the end of it.

Should I do some drawings or photos with dimensions on, so you can tell me if I need to modify any combinations that won't fit?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

All nice and consistent, then

I'll dig through my collets later, & try to work out a straightforward way to do it.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech