Myford Tumbler Gears

Hmmm, (not me - a friend) managed to strip the teeth on my tumbler gear

Have ordered replacements from the famous Marypoppinsbag BUT. I know they are an interferance fit (only because I have been told, no wisdom on my part), but how do I get the old one off to replace it. Do heat it and whack it, just whack it, or is there a magic art. It took m ages even with a diagram to find how to get the assembly off the side o the headstock!

Ta

David Taunto

-- nephroti

----------------------------------------------------------------------- nephrotic's Profile:

this thread:

nephrotic

In message , nephrotic writes

David, The gears are supported on pins that are an interference fit into the tumbler casting. Using suitable support under the casting itself, I tapped the pins out from the "back" using a bit of brass and a light hammer.

It didn't take much in the way of effort - the pins are not too tight a fit.

One word of caution. If I remember correctly, the tumbler gears are different sizes. Make sure the right one goes on the pins before pressing them back in..

Regards,

Reply to
Pat Martindale

I'm sure that the mary poppins bag himself can answer that one ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Is that who I think it is, both of them being Nottingham engineers and part of the worshipful company of cynical traders? I just bought a pair of 21T myford gears off 'em for the lathe I still haven't picked up yet:)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

I had already ordered (last night) a pair of tumbler gears from "wher

else but Marypoppinsbag". I am just waiting for the. I was just a bi nervous about getting bangy with a hammer. I am still at the "don' tighten things up enough stage" and jobs occasionally slip away. At least it wasn't me that chewed the gears! Thanks for the advice on getting them off, I will have a go later an post the result. Davi

-- nephroti

this thread:

nephrotic