Mixing & applying epoxy (hint)

Hi ALL!

Why use wooden applicators or brushes to mix and apply epoxy.

Here is a 'hint' for mixing and applying epoxy, especially for applying it in deep narrow spaces.

I have a narrow STAINLESS ruler (3/8" wide by 6" lg.) that I use to mix and apply epoxy cement. Using the narrow end, it's also very handy to apply cement into deep narrow places. When you're finished, clean the ruler with denatured alcohol solvent. Every hobbyist should have a can a alcohol on his workbench for cleanups. Be sure to close the container promptly because alcohol evaporates quickly.

Have a good day! The day isn't wasted if you learned something new. :>)

Reply to
Earl Scherzinger

Storm's Hamburgers

Alcohol works great but an added hint is to make sure that when you purchase it that you get the 90% stuff from the drug store 'cause it works a lot better than the 60% stuff from Wallyworld.

Phil AMA609

Earl Scherz> Hi ALL!

Reply to
pcoopy

He's talking denatured, not isopropynol. I use 99% iso when I do fiber optic work. Buy it by the case at the local Longs Drugs or Sav-On.

Denatured can be had at Lowes/Home Depot/Dixieline etc...

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

So which one is best, Dena or Iso?

-- habutt

----------------------------------------------------------------------- habutti's Profile:

this thread:

habutti

Dunno. I've always thinned epoxy with Acetone...

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

I use epoxy thinner for clean-up and a small screwdriver for mixing & application.

Cheers -- \_________Lyman Slack________/ \_______Flying Gators R/C___/ \_____AMA 6430 LM____ / \___Gainesville FL_____/ Visit my Web Site at

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Lyman Slack

Lyman, is it a can of "epoxy thinner" or is it a can of "denatured alcohol". I don't think I've seen anything specifically labeled "epoxy thinner".

I used to use small pieces of wood, toothpicks or a small screwdriver to mix epoxy for making golf clubs, but I found a box of 1000 popsicle sticks at a garage sale for 25 cents and will be using them from now on to mix and/or apply epoxy. Of course, splitting them down the middle with a chisel is sometimes appropriate.

I usually mix epoxy on a white wall tile. Its hard, resistant to solvents and can be scraped clean once the epoxy dries. I always keep a little of the mix on the tile and let it cure with the stick in it. This gives me a check on the success of the cure. In making golf clubs, you don't want a head coming off and hitting someone because of a poor mixture or bad curing conditions. I thought it appropriate to carry the procedure over to modeling.

The need for and details of the thinning of epoxy is new to me, and I need more information on the details, but I'll bet Alan would pop in and reference and article on his site if I ask for help, so I'm going to look there first. Comments are appreciated, however.

Happy New Year!

Harlan

Reply to
H Davis

snip

For some reason the credit card companies have taken to sending me several excellent disposable epoxy mixing pallets every month. I really don't understand why, because it's usually companies that I don't do business with. The pallets are about 2" x 3-1/2", some are plastic, some are cardboard. Aside from the irritating embossed letters they're perfect.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Heh -- I use those, too, but as spreaders rather than pallets.

Reply to
St. John Smythe

Another idea for mixing epoxy.

I scotch tape a 12" x 12" piece of wax paper to a smooth counter and mix the epoxy on that. Be careful not to 'rough mix' the expoy and rip the wax paper. When you're finished, roll up the paper and throw it away. No clean up!

Happy New Year to Everybody!

Reply to
Earl Scherzinger

Isn't wax used as a mold release agent?

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Yes it is, but I don't see the epoxy mixing tip...am I missin

something

-- habutt

----------------------------------------------------------------------- habutti's Profile:

this thread:

habutti

AOL sends me a lot of mixing pallets as well... Just gotta be wary of the hole in the middle of 'em.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

I use a plastic knife, like the one you would use for a picnic and a paper plate. The knife wipes clean. Don't go over board on the mixing and the paper plate will last for several epoxy jobs. An easy way to see how things have set up. Cheap and an easy cleanup (just pitch).

Don

Reply to
Don

Any plastic lid works as a mixing plate because once the epoxy is dry i

can easily be peeled off and will last for ever, and just use the bals scrapt before u trow it away as an applicator how much cheaper tha that can it ge

-- habutt

this thread:

habutti