Myford turret attachment

I saw this Myford turret attachment on ePay today. http://tinyurl.com/22cbtj
I wonder if anyone could enlighten me on the functionality of this,
does the lever rotate the turret maybe? I have not seen this type before, only the type which mounts in the tail stock, and is completely manual.
[image:
http://i15.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/d8/6a/b709_1.JPG ]
--
Jazzman99

Hello Sorry to disappoint you but the lever moves the pin that locates one of the positions on the turret, when you slacken the locking lever on the top and rotate the turret by hand then re-lock the top clamp lever. If you are looking to set up for repetition work and you have the space I have a Hardinge Chucker lathe with an eight position turret which is far more accurate and not much more money than this turret unit on Ebay .Cheers Colin
Sorry, but I'm not interested in your lathe, Colin. :)
But in the picture I posted, there are two pins sticking out the left(ish) side, but I can't tell if both are actuated by the lever. And what about the lever on the top, is that to lock the turret?
I'm just curious really, I don't think I will need it.
--
Jazzman99
Jazzman99 wrote:

Likely the one is the pin that locks the turret, the other is the plunger that applies spring pressure to keep the turret locked.
Cheers Trevor Jones
    --Wow that's a good price; if I were you I'd snag it! I've got one and yes I do use it for production on occasion. This, plus the collet closer and you're in business in a small way. Yes, the bottom lever engages a locking pin to position each face; the lever on top tightens the turret once moved.     --The only problem with the turret is the size of the chuck mounting holes; maybe 5/8", IIRC. I had to make some strange 'interface' pieces to get mine to a state of usefulness. Here's a link to a few photos: http://www.nmpproducts.com/wbapril07.htm
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : The impeachment process
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : exists for a reason...
steamer wrote:

5/8" shank is a common size for the small second op lathes, such as from Hardinge and the like. Pretty common, but prices vary from giveaway, to very dear, with little found in the middle range, from what I have found. Lots of box tools and hollow mills, tooling collets and die heads available in 5/8" shank.
The site poses the question of a better idea for the depth stop. Look at the multi carriage stops used on many turret equipped lathes. Rotate the stop position, to match the turret position, and yer cookin' with gas!
http://www.lathes.co.uk/schaublin/img34.gif is the best picture of the concept I can find at short motice.
Here is another variation
http://www.clausing-industrial.com/Products/Lathes/Metosa/std/4posbedstop.jpg
Beat to heck, or chinese mikes, bought on sale, are pretty good donors for adjustable micrometer stops, too.
Cheers Trevor Jones

Interesting site, Ed. As to the "whatchamacallit" of December 05 (a retracting screwcutting tool), have you seen the GHT design? Hemingway market a kit for it (I have had the kit for over a decade, but not got made it yet) and for a more sophisticated retracting topslide.
David
--
David Littlewood

Thanks for your answers, folks.
The "whatchamacallit" (retracting screwcutting tool) seems like a neat gadget to make. This seems to release very quickly.
--
Jazzman99
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 19:46:31 -0600, Jazzman99

    I made one of these a few years ago and, on the whole, I find it very useful. However, key to it's effectiveness lies in the strength and 'snappiness' of the coiled compression spring fitted within the body and which effects withdrawal. Although it does work, I have yet to find a spring, in these small sizes, which can move the mass of the top slide very smartly, to remove the tool from engagement as briskly as I would like.. I also fitted George Thomas' topslide locking lever at the same time. I find this essential as the 'unlocked' retracting topslide has a tendency to 'vibrate' more than I would like.
YMMV --