OT: Anti virus software

Any recommendations? I used Norton for years, but moved away to McAfee when Norton got so complex and difficult to upgrade. Now I'm having a major fit with McAfee - infact sitting waiting for a call from their tech support as they've screwed my PC - so perhaps it's time to move on again.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

AVG - No problems and it's free

Reply to
Alan

Oh - is it one of the 30 day jobs, or actually free?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Got to the AVG site there are 2 options pay or free. The free one is fine. It is NOT 30 day.

Reply to
Alan

I use Avast. That and AVG are totally free and auto updating.

I've had no problems with either package on XP (not tried Vista)

HTH

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

OK thanks - downloading AVG as McAfee have failed to ring back at the appointed time.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I'd vote for AVG as well and I have installed it on over 100 machines without problem.

Reply to
Cliff Ray

Andrew Mawson formuleerde de vraag :

is free and works well. Each day new updates with only one commercial Avira pop-up. Norton is large, complicated and slow. The last horrible experience was with AVG which missed a haux update and forced me to re-install XP.

Reply to
Dirk

Another AVG fan! Depending on which operating system you have it is worth, after ensuring all of your previous AV programs have been deleted, emptying all temp files and run C Cleaner (another free program) to delete any extraneous registry entries. AV programs have a nasty habit of leaving bits of program floating about which can cause problems.

John H

Reply to
John

I used to use AVG 7.5 on all my machines, but they've recently updated the program to V 8 and added rather a lot of bloat...so I decided to switch to Avast. Ran a test scan of one machine that had previously had AVG running full-time in the background and it picked up half a dozen exploits.

I'm sticking with Avast.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

If you are getting rid of Norton may I sugest that you use this?

is the one I use too. No issues in 5 years.

Reply to
elj221c

I have been using the free version for years! The free version of Avast is good too.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Kaspersky always gets good reviews in terms of virus coverage so I use that. It's available at a good price from scan.co.uk.

Hth,

Reply to
Boo

Avira is not AVG! I stick to Avira as it works without slowing down the pc. As said AVG missed the haux update.

Reply to
Dirk

Gentlemen,

I used AVG until it went to versi>> Any recommendations? I used Norton for years, but moved away to

Reply to
campingstoveman

My experience is exactly the opposite. AVG 7.5 and 8.0 both work entirely unobtrusively in the background in Windows XP. Whether any anti-virus program is effective of course, one can never know. You pay your money, or not with AVG, and take your choice.

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

I'm still on AVG after several years but the latest version is a bit bloated. Over in the computer groups there's a general consensus is that Avast and Avira are slightly better. Gave up on the commercial stuff years ago.

Reply to
newshound