OT: Anti virus software

Any recommendations? I used Norton for years, but moved away to McAfee when Norton got so complex and difficult to upgrade. Now I'm
having a major fit with McAfee - infact sitting waiting for a call from their tech support as they've screwed my PC - so perhaps it's time to move on again.
AWEM
Andrew Mawson wrote:

AVG - No problems and it's free

I'm
Oh - is it one of the 30 day jobs, or actually free?
AWEM
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Got to the AVG site there are 2 options pay or free. The free one is fine. It is NOT 30 day.
Andrew Mawson wrote:

I use Avast. That and AVG are totally free and auto updating.
I've had no problems with either package on XP (not tried Vista)
HTH
Bob

call
it's
OK thanks - downloading AVG as McAfee have failed to ring back at the appointed time.
AWEM
Bob Minchin wrote:

I'd vote for AVG as well and I have installed it on over 100 machines without problem.

I have been using the free version for years! The free version of Avast is good too.
Steve R.
I'm still on AVG after several years but the latest version is a bit bloated. Over in the computer groups there's a general consensus is that Avast and Avira are slightly better. Gave up on the commercial stuff years ago.
Andrew Mawson formuleerde de vraag :

http://www.free-av.de / Avira is free and works well. Each day new updates with only one commercial Avira pop-up. Norton is large, complicated and slow. The last horrible experience was with AVG which missed a haux update and forced me to re-install XP.

Another AVG fan! Depending on which operating system you have it is worth, after ensuring all of your previous AV programs have been deleted, emptying all temp files and run C Cleaner (another free program) to delete any extraneous registry entries. AV programs have a nasty habit of leaving bits of program floating about which can cause problems.
John H
On Thu, 7 May 2009 14:28:36 -0700 (PDT), John

I used to use AVG 7.5 on all my machines, but they've recently updated the program to V 8 and added rather a lot of bloat...so I decided to switch to Avast. Ran a test scan of one machine that had previously had AVG running full-time in the background and it picked up half a dozen exploits.
I'm sticking with Avast.
Regards,
--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenetgmx.net

Avira is not AVG! I stick to Avira as it works without slowing down the pc. As said AVG missed the haux update.
If you are getting rid of Norton may I sugest that you use this? http://www.v3.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/2194674/norton-removal-tool AVG is the one I use too. No issues in 5 years.
--
elj221c
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Kaspersky always gets good reviews in terms of virus coverage so I use that. It's available at a good price from scan.co.uk.
Hth,
--
Boo

Gentlemen,
I used AVG until it went to version 8, it then almost brought my computer to a halt operating in the background. I now use Avast which as others have said apart from the auto load box that pops up daily I don't notice it.
Martin P

My experience is exactly the opposite. AVG 7.5 and 8.0 both work entirely unobtrusively in the background in Windows XP. Whether any anti-virus program is effective of course, one can never know. You pay your money, or not with AVG, and take your choice.
Cliff Coggin.