WF4 Installation problem

We're getting WF4 installed. They got it installed okay on 3 machines and got to mine and keep having the same problem~PTC.Setup isn't finding the MAC address (hostid) on the NIC. It errors and won't even start the installation. I've got WF2 installed already (so did the other people who installed successfully) so it'll install something; IPCONFIG /ALL returns all the expected information, including the "physical address"; all the network stuff, mapped drives, internet and web apps working normally. There's a call in to PTC Tech Support which is, so far, unhelpful. I'm out of ideas, anyone else want to take a crack at it?

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

I got this when installing on my home pc (XP Pro 32bit).

IIRC I used task manager to kill the PTCsetup.exe process. As it shut down I saw a dialog box alerting me to the hostID error which until then was invisible and hidden behind the setup window. Then a moment later the setup program magically moved forward to the next screen in the installation. Weird, but it worked and the installed program runs just fine.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Janes wrote: > We're getting WF4 installed. They got it installed okay on 3 machines > and got to mine and keep having the same problem~PTC.Setup isn't finding > the MAC address (hostid) on the NIC. It errors and won't even start the > installation. I've got WF2 installed already (so did the other people > who installed successfully) so it'll install something; IPCONFIG /ALL > returns all the expected information, including the "physical address"; > all the network stuff, mapped drives, internet and web apps working > normally. There's a call in to PTC Tech Support which is, so far, > unhelpful. I'm out of ideas, anyone else want to take a crack at it? > > David Janes

I got this when installing on my home pc (XP Pro 32bit).

IIRC I used task manager to kill the PTCsetup.exe process. As it shut down I saw a dialog box alerting me to the hostID error which until then was invisible and hidden behind the setup window. Then a moment later the setup program magically moved forward to the next screen in the installation. Weird, but it worked and the installed program runs just fine.

Dave I'll have to see if I can find someone in IT brave enough to try that. They're talking about waiting till I go on vacation in a couple weeks and reformatting the hard drive, IOW, two more lost weeks. But, for a PTC product, that hidden window business sounds about right.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes