WF 5 SE

I've been wondering about this for a while. They've finally announced it, WF 5.0 Student Edition. And for a special, introductory price (for those on some list), $50 off retail.
http://store.ptc.com/store?SiteID=ptc&Locale=en_US&Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&productID=208425000&pgm=72274300&ThemeID=6865700&Currency=USD
This hasn't appeared yet on JourneyEd.com or Academicsuperstore.com, but I'm guessing it should be any time after the cut off date for this offer. So, question of the day: is $250 a "good" price for the SE? ("Good" does not include "competitive" with the SW student edition [$139], obviously, but is it below normal first out of the gate SE prices, I.e. will I be able to go back in a month and find comparable JourneyEd prices!?!) I honestly can't remember. Anyone?
David Janes

It's been several years since I last looked at a JourneyEd catalog, but $250 is what the Pro/E student edition cost then.
And then I heard that at one of the PTC conferences they handed them out FOR FREE. So I'd politely ask your reseller if they have any of those available or hold off if you're attending a conference.
If you're interested in the conference handout option, I can ping my co-worker to see which conference where that happened.
David

I think I got 2001 SE for free at a meeting. But all those were unremarkable for installing. WF5 another beast altogether.
First, they advertized online the $250 special (not clear if it was a special or not). Then, when you went to the website to order, they present you with to "delivery options", one, download, was quite clear; the other, "physical on demand", was what, a disk, maybe!?! But, so typical of PTC to make something, like "send me a disk" into something so bizarre and obscure. Well, I picked door number two and finally actually got a disk. That was the easy part, gambling the $250.
Then I went to actually install it. Slip it into the reader and the opening screen looked familiar... until I got to the next pae. Here I got a screen which assumed two things, either I was connected, like a professional user, to an account online; or I already had a license file, emailed to me by PTC. BOTH WRONG, WHERE'S THE IN BETWEEN!?!
So, the very first thing was to email the Installation "support" address and tell them, hey, that thing you said in the installation guide about how you just do this and then do that, well, it doesn't work. It just got me back the classic "helpdesk" reply~go ask someone else.
To make a long story even longer, I read the Installation guide (linked on the bottom of the intro screen) ALL THE WAY THROUGH! So, somewhere, near the end of the document, it has a section on troubleshooting with a link to the place where you can fill in your MAC address and login password. And this, finally, got me the email with the license file. Nice trick, PTC, burying the link that used to be on the Intro screen in the Installation document, and toward the end. You D&D guys are always full of those little pranks to keep us newbies on our toes, with chuckles all around (snark, snark, snort, snort). what a barrel of laughs you guys are. I can't imagine how you'd be any funnier, except with a bullet between the eyes.
Nobody on the planet, much less an adult veteran of this software, should feel even mildy ecstatic about successully installing software. But, that's how they made me feel. Followed quickly by revulsion. I'm serious, someone should pay. Dec 6 (Mon) is the last chance to get into the next PTC strokeathon, for free, by submitting "Presentation Abstracts for PlanetPTC Live 2011 in Las Vegas". Someone(s) should go and let them have it. I'd do it, even if I knew for certain it would be my last living breath.
David Janes
<DIV><FONT face=Calibri>I've been wondering about this for a while. They've finally announced it, WF 5.0 Student Edition. And for a special, introductory price (for those on some list), $50 off retail.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Calibri><A title="http://store.ptc.com/store?SiteID=ptc&amp ;Locale=en_US&amp;Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&amp;productID=208425000&amp;pgm=72274300&amp;ThemeID=6865700&amp;Currency=USD&#10;CTRL + Click to follow link" href="http://store.ptc.com/store?SiteID=ptc&amp ;Locale=en_US&amp;Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&amp;productID=208425000&amp;pgm=72274300&amp;ThemeID=6865700&amp;Currency=USD">http://store.ptc.com/store?SiteID=ptc&amp ;Locale=en_US&amp;Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&amp;productID=208425000&amp;pgm=72274300&amp;ThemeID=6865700&amp;Currency=USD</A></FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Calibri></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Calibri>This hasn't appeared yet on JourneyEd.com or Academicsuperstore.com, but I'm guessing it should be any time after the cut off date for this offer. So, question of the day: is $250 a "good" price for the SE? ("Good" does not include "competitive" with the SW student edition [$139], obviously, but is it&nbsp;below normal first out of the gate SE prices, I.e. will I be able to go back in a month and find comparable JourneyEd prices!?!) I honestly can't remember. Anyone?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Calibri></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Calibri>David Janes</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Calibri></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV dir=ltr><FONT face=Calibri>BTW, JourneyEd carries&nbsp;the WF5.0 SE, sorry, the <FONT face="Times New Roman">Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 Student Edition,&nbsp;</FONT></FONT><FONT face=Calibri>for $150 for actual students. Didn't see a price listed for the rest of us.&nbsp;So, we're still guessing. Confirm? Deny?</FONT></DIV> <DIV dir=ltr><FONT face=Calibri></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV dir=ltr><FONT face=Calibri>David Janes</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=

http://store.ptc.com/store?SiteID=ptc&Locale=en_US&Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&productID 8425000&pgmr274300&ThemeIDh65700&Currency=USD <http://store.ptc.com/store?SiteID=ptc&Locale=en_US&Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&productID 8425000&pgmr274300&ThemeIDh65700&Currency=USD>

I'm guessing it should be any time after the cut off date for this offer. So, question of the day: is $250 a "good" price for the SE? ("Good" does not include "competitive" with the SW student edition [$139], obviously, but is it below normal first out of the gate SE prices, I.e. will I be able to go back in a month and find comparable JourneyEd prices!?!) I honestly can't remember. Anyone?

Edition, for $150 for actual students. Didn't see a price listed for the rest of us. So, we're still guessing. Confirm? Deny?

When I go to look at http://www.journeyed.com/item/PTC/291455/1480863 it says "Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 Student Edition (formerly Wildfire)" and on PTC website:
http://store.ptc.com/store?SiteID=ptc&Locale=en_US&Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&productID 8425000&pgmr274300&ThemeIDh65700&Currency=USD
It says:
"Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 Student Edition - Personal Use"
and
"Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 Student Edition (formerly Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 5.0 Student Edition)"
It looks to me to be the same product, PTC just added the "Personal Use" to the title.
Paul
On 12/ 8/10 08:20 PM, Paul Gress wrote:

[...]

But looking more deeply PTC says:
"This version is for your personal use and is limited to individuals in non-commercial, non-professional environments."
While JourneyEd says:
Who is eligible to purchase?
Y Student Y Faculty/Staff N School N Organization N Government N Music Instructor N Correctional N Military Service Person N Non-Academic (General Public)
So no, not the same RTU license.
Paul

Well, it really does look like JourneyEd is doing the strictly-for-students version and PTC is doing the 'personal use' version. Scarfing a little of the SE dollars? I'd be surprised if they kept it up. They've hardly ever wanted to be burdened with the support issues associated with a non-commercial version of the software. Although they did go over the top with the Academic version, including free training of instructors, for a nominal licensing fee. I'm surprised the 'personal use' version is still selling on their website. The original offer was suppopsed to run out at the end of November, around U.S. Thanksgiving. Maybe it's just part of the Elements rollout. Who knows, anyway, they're not saying.
David Janes