Re: se 5

Mad-Modeller wrote in news:43929190.C92A9BF6 @nextline.com:

Yup. Got a Lindy and a Mono. Lindy is part built, but tossed it into the finish these first pile.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Yes.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

why do you prefer it, bill?

Having had the two, I preferred the Aurora kit. They're just a bit harder to find now. I forget, did Monogram re-release it in their box?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

After reading those reviews, it seems that kit of choice in 1/48 scale is the Hispano version. This has the corrected lower wing *and* all the parts which come in the Wolseley-engined version. Therefore it seems that *any* version of the SE5a can be built from this kit. Hannants are also selling it at three quid cheaper than the Wolseley-engined version!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

i pulled the box out. i'll see if i have the same problem. right now i'm doing the amt p61b. first you sand it smooth.....

otherwise it looks like a p61 and isn't a bad build. needs lotsa details.

Probably for the 'wrong' reasons. The Aurora kit was sturdier, possibly suggesting the Lindberg was more accurately scaled. Mine kept falling apart as I was building it. Perhaps superglues would work better than the solvents.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Yeah, that's the old Frog kit. The same problem existed with the Airfix kit - Rivetpalooza!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

IIRC, the cockpit area is a large canyon with two hard-backed chairs and two pilots with splayed legs and their hands by their sides. Most Frog kits lacked interior detailling. OTOH, the Frog was buildable as an 'A' only. IIRC, it lacked the upper turret just as the prototype did. They had a buffeting problem and tried eliminating it by removing the turret. The Airfix kit has parts to build either way and more interior detailling - not a lot, just more. BTW, the Airfix Beaufighter isn't a bad kit either. Interior details are lacking but surface detail is very restrained.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller