OT - Any Windows 98 experts here?

Hi all, Apologies for the off-topic post, but I know this list is populated with many computer experts - I need some help..

Running Windows 98SE. I have a problem when saving files, be they binaries or plain text. I choose "Save" or "Save As" and a box opens asking me where I wish to save the file - all very normal and correct. (I will call it the "Save To" box).

The problem lies with the order in which the folders listed in the "Save To" box are displayed.

Until recently, all the folders were listed by name - i.e., the order in which they appear in the left-hand pane of Windows Explorer in the C drive tree.

Now the folders in the "Save To" box appear to be listed in some other order and I want to get them back into "ordered by name". I know I can right click in the box and sort them that way but that does not seem to save as the default - next time I open the "Save" location box again the order is once again changed.

What I need to know is - is there a way to change the default order in which these folders display. It is a real pain having to sort through the complete list of folders trying to find the location I need.

Any and all help appreciated.

Regards,

Reply to
Pat Martindale

My computer, view, folder options, view

Then either reset to default or set all folders to look like the current one.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

In message , Dave Baker writes

Thanks Dave - but that doesn't work!

Resets the "tree" as displayed under the C drive in the L/H pane but doesn't solve the problem in the "Save To" box...

Regards,

Reply to
Pat Martindale

Hi Pat,

I also have this problem and haven't been able to fix it. I don't know what I did to cause it either. If anyone here knows how to fix it short of wiping the hard drive and reinstalling Windows 98 (not something I want to do) I would really appreciate it, as would Pat I imagine. It is very annoying not being able to view the folders in the Save To box in order.

David W.

Reply to
David W

In view "advanced settings" do you have the box called "remember each folder's view settings" ticked?

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

In message , Dave Baker writes

Yes.

I have tried un-ticking it as well......:-))

Regards

Reply to
Pat Martindale

Try this also:

Right-click Start, click Explore, and then click drive C. On the View menu, click Details. Click the Name column to sort items by name, press and hold down the CTRL key, and then exit Windows Explorer by clicking the Close X in the upper-right corner of the screen. Release the CTRL key. Restart your computer.

Having the CTRL key held down at some time when you exited a save as or file open box might have reset the windows defaults without you realising it.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

In message , Dave Baker writes

Dave, Thank you - I am obliged.....

That worked OK.

Regards,

Reply to
Pat Martindale

There's not much that Windows won't let you do - the trouble is half of it isn't in the bloody manual. The CTRL key does many wonderful things such as resetting defaults without you realising it and is rather easy to hit by mistake when you're wanting the shift key.

Another useful CTRL thing. When you're web surfing you sometimes come across pages that have been cached, either on your pc or by your ISP (AOL does a lot of that) but have already been changed since then on the web site. If you hold down the CTRL key while you hit the Refresh button in your browser it forces the browser to load the page direct from the latest version on the website rather than from a cached version somewhere else.