OT: Bacon Butties

Nothing what so ever to do with model engineering but VERY tasty.

Today we sampled the first batch of our home cured bacon. Excellent though I say it myself. The recent trip of 5 piggies to the abattoir allowed me to hold back 2 1/2 pigs for our own use. We've now got two Parma hams curing (they take 8 months at least!), and 8 kgs of normal ham curing as well as more sausages than you can imagine (80 kgs iirc). The bacon not only tasted superb, it actually looks like shop bought bacon. I made 24 kgs in this batch so no shortage for bacon butties! Another two pigs went off on a one way trip this Monday but the abattoir has a problem with it's chilled transport van, so we won't probably see them back until after the weekend. One and a half are for customers, but the remaining half will be more ham, and this time I'll make some smoked bacon.

Ah ..... the good life! And now the lambs are coming thick and fast

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Re sausages, just pray that freezers do not fail I assume that the ham will be smoked over a hard working lathe or mill, then served with blue chips.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

Excellent

Actually they are the original flying pig - they fly out of the door at £2.80 per pack

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

You get rasher and rasher by the day.

Reply to
anon and off

`I think you are undercharging for them, I make Venison sausage using all pure ingerdients and yes I do buy pork belly to help moisten them, when I cost them out with 'free' venison I find that I need another =A31.00 per lb more than you to break even.I have people who will buy all that I cam make at =A33.80 So much so I now only make them for home use. Peter

Reply to
Drawfiler

# # `I think you are undercharging for them, I make Venison sausage using # all pure ingerdients and yes I do buy pork belly to help moisten them, # when I cost them out with 'free' venison I find that I need another # £1.00 per lb more than you to break even.I have people who will buy # all that I cam make at £3.80

So, what you are saying is that your venison sausages are dear meat?

Reply to
anon and off

message

Excellent

abattoir

`I think you are undercharging for them, I make Venison sausage using all pure ingerdients and yes I do buy pork belly to help moisten them, when I cost them out with 'free' venison I find that I need another £1.00 per lb more than you to break even.I have people who will buy all that I cam make at £3.80 So much so I now only make them for home use. Peter

Peter you are probably right! It's a hobby not a business, and if I look at the current cost of sow nuts at £280 / ton it means it's costing nearly £20 per month per pig in feed alone.When you consider that they are ready at about 6 months (ie £ 120) and that slaughtering is another £22 plus £22 for butchering, then add in almost £1 per lb for making sausages there is no profit in it at all when done on a small scale. But we do end up with excellent meat for our own consumption.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson