OT - Excellent video file (avi mpeg etc) conversion utility

My antiquated old Pentium PC can't play some of the modern video file formats like H264 because the processor is too slow. In the past I've tried
to convert those to Xvid with various programs but without much success. I recently came across a free universal video format converter which does everything perfectly.
http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free /
Just load a video file of almost any format, specify Xvid or whatever you want to convert it to, keep the frame size the same, enter a video bitrate from the list or type in a custom one, 975 works well for a 350mb rip for a 45 minute program, framerate can stay as original and mp3 audio at 128 bitrate and 44100 sample rate will do nicely. Press convert and off it goes. Perfectly synced sound and video, no codecs to load, everything's built in. I've run 30 or more files through it and they all came out perfect. There's a professional version you can pay for but god knows what else you'd need it to do. The free one rocks.
Just thought I'd pass it on.
--
Dave Baker

You perhaps need VLC, the best free media player, plays anything you throw at it. http://www.videolan.org/vlc / check out the features link for everything it plays.
--
mick

Will it run on my DVD player or hard drive media player?
--
fred
FIVE TV's superbright logo - not the DOG's, it's bollocks

I do use VLC and have done for many years but a 733 mHz Pentium won't play anything as modern as H264 or X264 because it's too fricking slow. It will play it but it's jerky and the video cuts out to the point it's unwatchable. You fancy rich guys with your 3000mHz AMD's won't be bothered by this but us paupers can only play Xvids and Mpegs properly.
The converter solves this.
--
Dave Baker

OK, I understand, have you checked your lottery numbers yet, there is a few quillian quid going spare from last night, enough to buy you a new 'puter and treat us all in here. :-)
--
mick

As does a video card with hardware assistance, i.e. almost anything new. Some will even run video conversion on the graphics units to speed up slow PCs.
Dave Baker wrote:

a better graphics car would probably make more difference than a better CPU.
Playing a linux game, I went from 3 FPS to 60 FPS for the cost of a 30 quid Nvidia card.
Actually one of the best motherboards around in terms of bang for the buck is Intels ATOM based one. I reckon it pays for itself in a couple of years on electricity savings,..
On 13/07/2011 21:29, Dave Baker wrote:

I went to a computer fair the other day and was amazed at the low prices being asked for "old" desktop machines: 2Ghz for about £20. Similar vintage laptops were around £100.
--
Regards, Gary Wooding
(To reply by email, change gug to goog in my address)
mick wrote:

But the converter will trade off a slow CPU for a (temporary) chunk of disk space, and the time taken to do the conversion.
writes

Thanks for the tip, a universal converter is the holy grail. I have downloaded it but there are some worrying aspects to the product, the organisation and website:
No version numbers available for any of the on-site software
Identity hidden behind GoDaddy, eventually resolving to DNS in China
No information provided about who is behind the organisation
It may be a gem but use with caution.
--
fred
FIVE TV's superbright logo - not the DOG's, it's bollocks

No caution required. It does exactly what it says on the tin. Try it and then come back to us.
--
Dave Baker

writes

I didn't say it didn't work, I said it's sensible to be cautious of an anonymous Chinese outfit that's cagey about origins and code.
--
fred
FIVE TV's superbright logo - not the DOG's, it's bollocks
fred wrote:

IME, spyware is never that subtle. They will *promise* to install a marvellous piece of software but do no such thing. Fully fledged bits of software are just that; some company somewhere is trying to get its paid-for products out there and will use freebies to do so.
And, @Dave, as per various other messages; a desktop with a good enough spec to run modern codecs and modern software easily, costs peanuts. It doesn't even have to be particularly new; there haven't really been any great technological leaps forward in the hardware in the last 5 years. A decent lump of RAM (1GB up) is two/thirds of the battle. And running XP instead of Vista or Seven.
--
Scott

Scott M Wrote: > And running XP

So, Seven no good then? I was thinking Seven to replace XP but maybe I won't bother. What's the issue?
Roy
--
elj221c
On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 06:04:09 -0500, elj221c wrote:

N issue as far as I am concerned. Fedora 15 covers my needs.
--
Neil
Linux counter 335851

7 can be a PITA on pre-Vista hardware as the hardware driver requirements are different from XP and they may not have been rewritten. 7 is fine if it does work. I had to search out audio drivers for the same chipset on later model PCs and experiment until one worked.
Those cheap second hand desktops may be value-engineered office machines which don't expand or update well. Be sure they have the type of slots you need to override the inadequate mobo video controller. That's why I mentioned the two low-end Radeon cards. Neither adds much to the drain on a possibly marginal non-standard power supply.
An example: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/2351-63-window-dell-desktop-optiplex-gx280-drivers
jsw
elj221c wrote:

An OS is there to sit and watch out for keypresses and mouse movement and to draw stuff onto the screen, all for the benefit of the programs the user is running. Windows has ever more become caught up in a mixture of its own self importance, massive bloat and feature churn (ie changing stuff for the sake of it.) I loathed XP when it first came out for buggering about with the standard layout and endless pointless animation but then got to like it when I realsed it could all be turned off and look like 2000/98/95(!).
Seven is quite tiresome to use after earlier versions (I'm even getting vaguely nostalgic about Vista and that's truly awful) in that there is so much change just for the sake of it. Also stupid changes that mean that, if you turn off the poncy UI, you end up with a daft colour scheme of white on off-white for the task bar buttons and things. Then there's an odd feature of bunging new windows to the back of the stack for no good reason making you think it didn't notice a double-click.
Basically, unless you have a need for Seven or really want the latest and most spangly shiny thing, don't go there!
--
Scott

I can't really argue with that. My newest old PC came with 7 including Media Center, which despite its numerous egregious and confounding faults is still better than Hauppauge's execrable TV capture software. It works well with the Hauppauge HVR-950 USB tuner, though not (yet) with a Pinnacle 80e.
For those who cling stubbornly to Win2000 Pro, Petri has a hack to allow it to open zip-compressed folders, nearly the only real improvement in XP. http://www.petri.co.il/enable_compressed_folder_in_w2k.htm?wp7=1&theme=&accent =
jsw
Dave Baker wrote:

I hate to say this, but that reply suggests you are easy virus fodder. Your man there has given you very, very good advice. Take it.
The fact that it does what is says it does, does NOT mean it is not happily raiding your personal data and sending back to, well, any one. This is precicely how people have their identity stolen.
--
AC

FWIW, CNET didn't find a spyware in it: http://download.cnet.com/Any-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-10661456.html
The Home Theater PC where I might try this type of downloaded program is normally off line and has the C: drive in a removeable cartridge, with a couple of spares to safely test new programs, and reloadable backups of the C: disk images made with the free Seagate or Western Digital versions of Acronis TrueImage. The backup files can be virus- checked and since they are simply data rather than the active OS they shouldn't be capable of disabling antivirus software.
I built two HTPCs from cheap second-hand office PCs with low end Radeon 9250 PCI and 4350 PCI-E video cards which are adequate to drive US HDTVs. An older single-core 3GHz P4 CPU has had plenty of power so far. A 2.2GHz was marginal.
jsw