OT - Excellent video file (avi mpeg etc) conversion utility

AC wrote:

An open source GUI for open source codecs:-
http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
It wants an open port to phone home, and needs a cookie to install. Cookie and open port can be deleted and closed with impunity once it's been installed. I just block it from the network totally using firewall settings.
Very versatile and easy to use.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

The last version I used (02/05/10) placed it's own 'advert'[1] in the user data section of the created output file which I wasn't too keen on. That may bother some but not others.
[1] This file created by SUPER(c) - or something similar.
--
fred
FIVE TV's superbright logo - not the DOG's, it's bollocks
On 7/14/2011 8:30 AM, Dave Baker wrote:

I think the issue is what it might be doing that it DOESN'T say on the tin.

A serious concern. I thoroughly investigate the source of unexpected Internet access requests when the line is disconnected.
jsw

There is another free one here http://dvdvideosoft.com /
--
mick

something like:

SUPER is good, too. http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Seconded, but be aware it needs a cookie to install, which can be deleted afterwards. It's also a good idea to block it from your network using your firwall, as it likes to phone home just to check that it can. Blocking it has no effect on function that I've noticed. It's also totally open source, being a script based GUI which accesses an open source codec pack.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

I use it, but I've just been investigating audio quality issues with some radio programmes being made available by the presenter and a friend of his.
The friend only used a Mac and was providing m4a suffix files. To inspect and listen to these files I used Adobe Audition, so had to convert the files back to wave format. As SUPER was on the machine, I tried that, but conversion results were audibly poor. Reluctantly, I was forced to install iTunes, which gave far superior and quite adequate decoding results on my test files produced after I sent a test CD to be encoded and put up on the website..
It did make me worry about the quality of some of the codecs installed behind the SUPER front-end.
--
Bill

saying

I also use SUPERc - have done for years. It isn't perfect - but it is great value for money!