Re: Why Autocad Software cannot open DWG file ??

Our client send us a DWG file, when I open it using our company's AutoCad

>2002 software (Full version, not the LT version), it shows an error message >"Drawing file was created by an incompatible version" > >Hence, I suppose that this DWG file was created by some very old AutoCad >software, hence I bring it home, and try to open it using my old AutoCad R14 >software, again unsuccesful, it show the same error message. > >Questions:- >(1) Why formal AutoCad software (As new as Version 2002, and as old as R14) >cannot open files with DWG extension ??? > >(2) Could someone out in this newsgroup be kind enough to do the conversion >job for me, so as to convert this DWG file into something that our existing >AutoCad software can handle. (I can email such DWG file softcopy (Only >approx 120KB) to those one who can help me). > >Thanks in advance.

You've got a Autocad 2004 file there which is a brand new dwg type with compression and security features.

********************************************************************* In Life: You spill your cereal at breakfast, you get fired from your job, your dog dies, and your house burns down. Computer Equivalent: Virus Detected.

In Life: You've finished a 900 page novel. Your life's work. You will be a famous author world-wide; but then, it falls into the lit fireplace. Computer Equivalent: Quitting without saving.

In Life: A solution to all problems is found. World peace is achieved, all conflicts end, and everyone is happy. Computer Equivalent: Ctrl+Alt+Del

---Jackal

Reply to
Roarmeister

On 18 Jul 2003, "Mr. LAU Chi-Ming" used his great knowledge to say:

The drawing was last saved in AutoCAD 2004 format. You need to upgrade or have the sender save the drawing in a version you can handle.

Reply to
Smackypete

If you need to access the file this weekend, feel free to email it to me and I will convert it to a format you can open, otherwise as the person that sent it to you to saveas 2000 dwg format.

Reply to
Chip Harper