AutoCad Compatible Drawing Software

Hi all
Does anyone have experience of using CAD software delcared as "AutoCad compatible"? I am looking for cheap software for a satellite office to enable them to
edit AutoCad drawings without destroying the format of the original file. Got a shock when I looked at the price for LT - close to 1k!
One piece of software suggested is ZWCad. Is anyone using it to know exactly how compatible this is?
Don't like believing the sales hype on the web sites - prefer genuine user feedback.
TIA
Phil

If you are already using AutoCAD would and extra user license not be the cheapest route.
Bob

ZWCad is a member of the intellicad "family" We use Cadopia, which is also based on the intellicad engine, and it works great for a fraction of the Autocad price.
We switched from Autocad simply because we got fed up with Autodesk's update greed. Our original Autocad ver 14 was all we needed, but we had to update to be able to read our customers dxf files.
I use R14, together with DWGgateway. DWGgateway allows file conversion between the various formats, but I admit that I haven't tried it with a dxf file.
Brian.