Video from UKRA2005

Just got back home from UKRA2005 and processed all my video. Big thanks to everyone involved in the launch especially the Council, Pete Davy, Mike Roberts and Damian Hall, and all the fliers. I had a great time and some really fun flights. The results are at

Chris

Reply to
Chris Eilbeck

D'oh cannae view them! I get sound but no video, and my GSpot claims that it needs no codec, so why can't I view them! :-(

M.

Reply to
Martin Sweeney

I could view then using windvd.

you could try that.

Cath

Reply to
Cath

Hmm, had to use Google groups to see Chris and Martin's messages.... damn Tiscali.

I've been using PowerDVD, works fine in that. WMP (I can feel you flinch!) won't play anything other than the sound.

Reply to
Niall Oswald

I flinched too, but no luck in Xine, WMP nor Winamp. Must have a free copy of PowerDVD somewhere. Will try that.

Reply to
Andy M

Only tried a couple, so far, but they seem to be playing fine under both xine and totem.

Get Ubuntu ;-)

Cheers for posting these vids, Chris.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Westley

Get VLC. It'll play pretty much anything and it's free.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Eilbeck

What he said.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

The problem is that the encoding software has marked the file multiplex format as MPEG-1 even though it contains an MPEG-2 video stream, here as dump of the file format:

General Complete name : C:\Downloads\adr2-6gpro38-first.mpeg File size : 2.62 MiB Format : MPEG 1 multiplexer Overal bitrate : 1004 Kbps PlayTime : 21s 840ms

Video #0 Codec : MPEG Video 2 Bit rate mode : VBR Width : 720 Height : 576 Aspect ratio : 4/3 Frame rate : 25 Delay : 0

Audio #0 Codec : MPEG Audio 1 layer 2 Bit rate : 64 Kbps Channels : 2 Sampling rate : 24 KHz Delay : 0 Video0 delay : 0

Now when WMP tries to play the file, it asks DirectShow to analyse the file and create a filtergraph to render the file. Direct show looks at the multiplex format and loads the MPEG-1 demux'er and video decoder instead of the correct MPEG-2 decoder. If you manually swap the decoders the file plays fine.

The reason why programs like PowerDVD can play the file is probably due to the fact that they bypass DirectShow's graph builder for MPEG streams and use hard coded filer graphs that always use their own codecs, which happen to have a dual purpose MPEG-1/2 decoder filter.

If you demux the file with something like TMPEG's media editor and then re-mux it as an MPEG-2 program stream, the files play in WMP and just about anything else you care to try.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

Reply to