NAR/TRA Joint Active Recovery Definition

NAR Sport Services would like to announce the approval by the NAR BoT today of the Definition of Active Recovery; it had been approved earlier this month by the TRA BoD and this was the last step to conclude what should be the first of several joint projects between the NAR and TRA.We worked closely with our counterparts at Tripoli Rocketry Association to develop a definition that serves the entire rocketry community. Moreover, we continue to work with the TRA to close the gap on other HPR procedures so there is a more common ground for those wishing to pursue high power rocketry. The definition officially goes into effect on 7-30-2006 for the NAR and reads as follows:

DEFINITION:

Active Recovery is the deployment of a primary recovery device that actively changes the physical configuration and dramatically reduces the vertical descent rate of the rocket model when deployed. This device must be of sufficient size, based on the weight of the model, so that the device is capable of safely recovering the rocket. The active recovery device can include parachutes, streamers, helicopter devices, R/C control and any other devices that are physically deployed to provide safe recovery of the model. In the event that dual deployment and secondary recovery devices are used, the deployment of a secondary recovery device must actively change the configuration of the model in order to inhibit ballistic recovery and slow the decent rate so as to allow for safe deployment of the primary recovery device.

Passive Recovery methods such as airframe drag recovery do not actively deploy a recovery device that changes the physical configuration of the model. In the event that dual deployment is used, passive secondary recovery methods such as ballistic recovery do not change the physical configuration of the model. For these reasons, Passive Recovery is not permitted to be used as a valid method of recovery for certification flights in HPR models.

The definition will be posted soon on the NAR website and while we tried to word the definition to make it as clear as possible, we will also be posting some common Q&A'a that may arise. Please feel free to distribute this announcement and pass the word to our fellow rocketeers.

Best Regards

__________________ Carl Tulanko Chairman, Sport Services National Association of Rocketry NAR L3CC Member

Reply to
tulanko

There goes creativity, out the window..(:( Just what is needed more decisions, that at best appear anal retentive..(:-((

Fred

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

There goes creativity, out the window..(:( Just what is needed more decisions, that at best appear anal retentive..(:-((

Fred

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

What's needed is less double-posting.

Sorry Fred, I couldn't resist.

Reply to
Gus

"Well Now and Gee Golly! If it is not safe enough to use as a certification vehicle, just what makes it safe enough fly once you are already certified!"

I believe this whole controversy is based not on safety issue but on personal/likeability issues and political issues within Tripoli. Sorry to see NAR follow suit on this one.

Mark Palmer

Reply to
Mark A Palmer

crative = creative

Reply to
Mark A Palmer

Well, there is a safety issue lurking here: a certification flight should demonstrate that the flier can safely recover an HPR. But the thuggery of bureaucracy has struck again, and a solution ("deploy") has been legislated rather than an outcome ("safe").

Reply to
Steve Humphrey

I've been out of the loop for a while. I Googled the group for "active recovery" but found no relevant posts.

Can someone point me to a discussion on this?

I know its a little late, just curious as to how the issue arose and why the orgs felt it necessary to define active recovery and dictate its use in cert flights.

TIA

Reply to
Gary

it was discussed to death ad nauseum on the private NAR sections yahoo group last year I do believe.

terry dean nar 16158

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

It started because some thought that using a saucer shaped vehicle that uses tumble recovery for Cert 1 & 2 flights did not quite live up to the intent of NAR high power cert rules and safety guidelines. So, they made the rules more specific.

Les.

Reply to
Les Kramer

It's just a lot of words to justify banning the use of saucers for certification without saying actually saying "saucers are banned for certification".

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

There was a ton of discussion last year on the Tripoli List-serv. That is precisely why it has been defined so as to not allow saucers for certification.

AKS

Reply to
Kurt

It's a slippery slope, but you're right. Who says they'll stop at certification flights? Personally, flying saucers don't really do that much for me, but hey, to each his own. A guy ought to be able to certify on one if he wants to. It would seem that boost gliders would fit this category as well. Wonder if I would have been allowed to certify with my upscale Estes Orbital Transport? The glider doesn't have "active recovery" but the booster does. Wonder if I could fly it at all if they decide to take this "active recovery" rule past cert flights?

Reply to
J.A. Michel

They're not banned if they include a recovery device. :)

I personally think it's stupid that they had to add this to "ban" saucers and spools. If you can demonstrate the ability to build one, fly one and show why its stable and safe, then you understand the reasons for a cert. Why can't I build a rocket out of carbon fiber that is so light it can tumble-recovery on a small H motor? That is now banned as well, even if it's safer than a parachute recovery(not saything that it would be, but that it's possible)

Rocketry should be safe and fun, in that order. Too many regs start to remove the fun part.

-Aaron

Reply to
Aaron

I have read all these responses and tried to understand why the organizational bodies would want to take this approach. It appears to me that the NAR/TRA, in the midst of their legal battle with the BATFE, are trying to posture themselves as "self-policing" organizations. This is the same reason the certification process was put into place to begin with -- to regulate ourselves (or at least give the appearance) before Big Brother stepped up and did it for us.

Based on that, it's understandable that the NAR/TRA want to mitigate potential damage to the public's perception of the hobby. Boosting a flying saucer, or a cable spool, or an outhouse into the sky without any recovery device onboard is just asking for the media, followed by the regulatory agencies, to step in and say we are acting irresponsibly. Even with a recovery device, given the high power hobby's record of recovery failure (it's the #1 cause for flight failure), it's questionable.

If the NAR/TRA taking a stand on this insures that our grandchildren will be able to launch a rocket 20 years from now, we should all applaud.

Darrell

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

That was not the impression that I got from that *debate*. It was to require ANY rocket to have a active recovery system(ie, not tumble out of the sky).

Regardless one individual had a total meltdown and basically just insulted anyone that disagreed with him.

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
tdstr

Back on the meds eh?

Reply to
Phil Stein

Back on the meds eh?

Reply to
Phil Stein

I don't agree with your statement. Part of the cert involves understanding the science, and that included motor delays, the size of ejection charges, and the proper sizing of a chute. Using a saucer for both L1 and l2 certs, could mean that the first time someone actually uses a chute is a L3 cert, with dual electronics, and all else involved in l3.

I've not check the NAR and TRA L3 cert requirements in some time, but I recall that both groups wanted a chute and electronics for L3. Even if it's been an "unwritten rule", I can't really of hearing of any l3 flight (cert or not), that wasn't planned to use one or more chutes. Granted not all worked, some resulting in "lawndart" recovery!

I can recall the discussions on the TRA-listserv, and the guy that wanted them allowed for certs sold saucer kits, but I can't recall anybody that agreed with him, and there are a fair number of TRA members on the list.

Reply to
AZ Woody

You forget that the weight of an empty motor casing itself, falling from

3000' hit not be a good idea. Then add the weight of the bird.

This doesn't ban spools, saucers, pyramids, or other oddrocks. I've seen plenty of oddrocks fly >

Reply to
AZ Woody