OT Posting Problems

Is anyone else using Google to read posts on this group? For a couple of days now I have posts that appear on the topic list but are not in
the thread when opened. For a couple of hours after the post appears in the topic I get "there are no further posts in this thread they have etc etc"
Question for those of you that know about these things, is this my problem or a Google Groups problem? How can a post not be visible via Google (uk.rec.models.engineering) but visible (eventually) in RC Groups (uk.rec.models.engineering).
Really frustrating as I can watch a discussion take place in the topic list but seemingly have no access to what is being said and can't join in. Even though I can see SteveWs last couple of posts on RC Groups nothing except the topic list is available via Google. Any idea how I can (easily) get back to real time discussion?
Regards to those who can see this.
Keith
On 22 May 2007 16:32:26 -0700, jontom snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

It's down to the news feed to Google, which is not the best.
Posts that I put on here via BT's news server are immediately available most days (news.btopenworld.com)
You have to be using one of the BT servers as an ISP to use that though.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web: http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel
Peter
Thanks, I am in fact using BT and have just set up access via theie newserver, seems to work at the moment as i can now see about 50% more answers!
Not sure about posting yet but here goes!!
Thanks
Keith

"jontom_1uk" <jontom_1ukAThotmailDOTcom> wrote in message

Sorry, got to re-learn the etiquette but will get there hopefully.
Regards
Keith
On Wed, 23 May 2007 09:22:33 +0100, "jontom_1uk" <jontom_1ukAThotmailDOTcom> wrote:

BT are a strange bunch, I had to ask them quite a few times about newsgroup access, and in the end just used the same setup we have at home (also BT Broadband)
We don't use BT email addresses though, even though we have them. It is too much aggro changing ISP, so we stick with our old Easynet addresses both here at work and at home. We can access through pop3 protocol.
Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Luton, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk
On 22 May 2007 16:32:26 -0700, jontom snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I have used the free service from http://www.datemas.de/news/ with Agent as my mail client for a while now. The response times are near instantaneous. I note that they show new registrations as "temporarily suspended" at the moment though.
Regards, Tony

My computer seems to be under constant attack from Microsoft versus Google, both are doing constant updates of their own back. Most of the memory and processor speed is concerned with these titans battling for control for my computer on my computer. What little processing power left is for my needs. So it seems that all other programs run very slow. I have doubled the memory but this has enabled the Titans to play more and faster. What can be done? Is there a virus program that will eliminate Microsoft and Google? Regards Alan
snipped-for-privacy@jackary.plus.com wrote:

Venture forth into the depths and turn OFF any and all auto update selections that are running.
Download a copy of the Grisoft antivirus program, AVG Free. Install it after any other AV programs have been disabled and flushed out of the machine.
Google what? Lots of different applications under the name now, sadly. Google is a fit search engine, but all the task-bar-installed-supposedly-helpful crap that they want you to use, is just as bad a resource hog as some of the anti-virus offenders, most of which wish to remove you from the decision making process over what goes on in your own computer. Dump them! Google is the first search engine I use, and only as a web search tool and as a link to the site. Ditch it as an installed component, and save yourself the misery.
I make it, as much as possible, policy, to not have the machine do anything automatically. Find the tab in "options" or "preferences" or "setup" and turn all the crap off untill such time comes as you need to upgrade in order to maintain function or encrytion security. Pretty much any other "upgrades" are just stuff you don't need and won't use.
If you (or your houshold members) stay away from sites of an adult nature or concerning file sharing or downloads, AKA practicing safe computing, there is little to fear from the vast majority of the virii, spyware, and malware that are out there. If you can refrain from automatically opening every file that lands in your email box, so much the better, esp. if your service provider does not yet have a decent filter system on the email you recieve. Learn how to set up your mail to filter out the spam!
That's my two bits worth of advice.
Cheers Trevor Jones

My computer seems to be under constant attack from Microsoft versus Google, both are doing constant updates of their own back. Most of the memory and processor speed is concerned with these titans battling for control for my computer on my computer. What little processing power left is for my needs. So it seems that all other programs run very slow. I have doubled the memory but this has enabled the Titans to play more and faster. What can be done? Is there a virus program that will eliminate Microsoft and Google? Regards Alan
On Wed, 23 May 2007 01:08:43 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@jackary.plus.com wrote:

Not a virus program but there are various linux distributions and 3(I think) bsd operating systems.
--
Neil
reverse 'r' and'a' - delete 'l' for email
snipped-for-privacy@jackary.plus.com wrote:

Try Ubuntu - it's probably the best choice for people with no knowledge of *nixen (operating systems which have similarities to unix, like Linux's and BSD's), and it's free. It's a type or "flavour" of Linux.
www.ubuntu.com/download
You'll have to burn a CD as an .iso file - I presume you know how to do that?
Three caveats - first, it's a bit of a learning experience, but it shouldn't take more than a few days to get used to it.
Second, it's a good idea to install it on a drive by itself if you are a newbie. You can add a partition to your existing drive and shrink any existing partitions to make space, but this is dangerous to your data, and it's far better to just buy a new drive and add it to your machine - 80 GB drives are only about 30, and you'll still have the drive even if you don't like Ubuntu. However, you can also run Ubuntu from the CD to give it a look - and it's free anyway, just the cost of a blank CD. It runs a lot better when it's installed though, rather than running from CD.
You can install it yourself quite easily and quickly. Backup first however, as all installs can go wrong, though if you choose the correct drive to install on (!) it's highly unlikely to cause any problems.
There are ways to import your browser settings and email, though the latter is tricky to do - however there are lots of guides on the 'net. Install, play, then if you like it .. you really only want to have one email program in use though.
Third, it doesn't do winmodems well - these are a type of cheap telephone modem which are quite common, especially on computers built down to a price, which most are these days. However a nerd may be able to set it up for you, you can buy a proper "full" modem, or, like me, you may not use a telephone modem at all. Most other hardware is no problem though, it usually just does it all for you.
Ubuntu is not quite as smooth as windoze, or MacOSX which is the king as far as smoothness goes, and some of the standard free applications are a little ropy (though mostly there are free replacements and upgrades available, you just have to look for them - eg the movie player doesn't play DVD's out-of-the-box, but you can replace it for free with one that does) ...
... but the Gnome desktop especially, and Linux in general, have improved beyond recognition in the last few years, most of the compatibility problems have gone away with the addition of the Open Office suite (included free, you don't have to pay 300 for M$ Office), it's pretty well free from viruses, and the underlying kernel and OS is rock-solid reliable - no BSOD, ever.
--
Peter Fairbrother

( who mostly works on OpenBSD-based OS's, but mostly uses Mac OS classic and

Isn't that a tribe of small people in south Brixham ?
-- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

It's a bit of a problem for those with ISP's that don't want to supply Usenet feeds. Easynet was good, but BT has surprised me with its speed and coverage.
Probably the best bet is one of the paid-for feeds, at least you have a chance of complaining if it doesn't work! Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Luton, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk

Peter, looking at the properties of your post your feed is from GigaNews, an excellent provider which appears to be bundled in with your BT Broadband access.
On Wed, 23 May 2007 17:37:23 +0100, "Steve W" <steve> wrote:

I think you will find that the headers show that is from the original post, and it is added to as more people join the thread.
Look at the original headers, you'll see it there.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web: http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel
On Tue, 22 May 2007 16:32:26 -0700, jontom_1uk wrote:

Use a proper newsreader - they are easy to set up.
--
Neil
reverse 'r' and'a' - delete 'l' for email
On Wed, 23 May 2007 03:13:11 -0500, Neil Ellwood

I use Free Agent from Forte,as recommended to me by an NG member, but use Google Groups in the office as I can't access the news services from there.
However, Forte don't support or supply Free Agent anymore, only the paid for version. I'm sure there are other newsreaders around but Free Agent has been pretty good.
Keith, I could e-mail a copy of the agent file to you if you like, but it is around 7MB so farily large. Alternatively, if you e-mail me your address I could pop one in the post to you. Regards
Peter

For plain text what's wrong with OE? I've used it for 10 years and it doesn't seem to miss a beat. For downloading multipart/compressed binaries it's useless. I use News File Grabber for that but the author keeps adding features making it more complex to use!

Peter
Thanks very much for the offer but I've now set up via the BT newsreader and Outlook Express which seems to be working OK. I can't believe how much of the discussion I was missing before if they were anything like this one.
Perhaps on second thoughts as my Hotmail account has a single post 10Mb limit I could impose on you to send me a copy when you have time. Thanks very much.
Best regards
Keith
On Wed, 23 May 2007 19:23:36 +0100, "jontom_1uk" <jontom_1ukAThotmailDOTcom> wrote:>

Sent.
Peter