OT Posting Problems

Received with many thanks and much appreciation.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Peter

Thanks for your heads up and the useful links. I'm not sure I understand quite all of the "useful features" you mention but will no doubt do so after I've got my mind round the slightly earlier copy Peter (the other one) has just sent me. As you say it doesn't seem to be over expensive so I'm sure it won't interfere too much with the all important machine buying activities. I'm currently trying to convince SWMBO that we need a big shed to put all of the garden tools somewhere "safe" as they might get dirty all mixed up with these nasty lathes and things. I think she may have sussed there is a motive though, I'll need to re-double my efforts on the bathroom to earn more smartie points and try again.

Thanks also to everyone else who provided advice I seem to have at least a little understanding of some of the "magic" going on behind the screen. Well at least more than I had yesterday.

Best regard

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Venture forth into the depths and turn OFF any and all auto update selections that are running.

Download a copy of the Grisoft antivirus program, AVG Free. Install it after any other AV programs have been disabled and flushed out of the machine.

Google what? Lots of different applications under the name now, sadly. Google is a fit search engine, but all the task-bar-installed-supposedly-helpful crap that they want you to use, is just as bad a resource hog as some of the anti-virus offenders, most of which wish to remove you from the decision making process over what goes on in your own computer. Dump them! Google is the first search engine I use, and only as a web search tool and as a link to the site. Ditch it as an installed component, and save yourself the misery.

I make it, as much as possible, policy, to not have the machine do anything automatically. Find the tab in "options" or "preferences" or "setup" and turn all the crap off untill such time comes as you need to upgrade in order to maintain function or encrytion security. Pretty much any other "upgrades" are just stuff you don't need and won't use.

If you (or your houshold members) stay away from sites of an adult nature or concerning file sharing or downloads, AKA practicing safe computing, there is little to fear from the vast majority of the virii, spyware, and malware that are out there. If you can refrain from automatically opening every file that lands in your email box, so much the better, esp. if your service provider does not yet have a decent filter system on the email you recieve. Learn how to set up your mail to filter out the spam!

That's my two bits worth of advice.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones