OT Scanning b & w negatives..

Never been a photography buff, I need thoughts..

I've got a few old negatives that I'd like to print out.. I don't seem to provide the right buzz words for Google to provide any solutions..Sshort of the camera shop. One is of a broken crank from a big stationary engine..

TIA

Tom

Reply to
Tom

My Epson scanners come with a transparency unit, with transparency or negative holders, together with natural colour backlighting, so the results are as good as daylight ilumination.

It also can convert colour negatives into positives and B&W negatives into positives on the fly while scanning

Epson Perfection 1240U with Transparency unit. Probably a later version now, but they come up on ebay a lot.

Once scanned, any number of photo shops can print the files for you.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Do you just want prints, or do you want the images scanned too? I'd advise the latter if you think you might want more prints in future.

Any decent ("professional") photo shop can do prints from your negatives, many can scan as well. If you want to send them off this lot are good, but not cheap:

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

I'm rather allergic to buying another scanner. I'm on my 5th! :-(

My HP scanner doen't do the job well enough to convert to positive.

What sort of files are produced that require a photo shop to print?

Thanks

Tom

Reply to
Tom

You can print them yourself, Tom, it outputs .bmp. jpeg, tiff or gif (by memory) yoiu select which one you want when you save the scanned file.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Epson 3200 here... It's not bad, but not as good as its 3200DPI promises. i.e. still not as good as my 600dpi scanner, geared down 4:1 (makes 2400dpi) with some unholy hacks to the optical path... (back before I had machine tools, but scans 120 roll film and 35mm quite nicely, if slowly)

I'm tempted to make another one using an Epson 1240 as a starting point...

what's the largest negative the 1240 can scan?

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond

I'll dig out the holders, there are four altogether, one single 35mm strip (2 neg's), one double 35mm strip and two roll-film, probably one is 120 film and one is a large format size.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Peter A Forbes on Mon, 4 Apr 2005 07:05:01

+0000 (UTC) typed >

And a scanned negative can have the colours reversed

Reply to
pyotr filipivich