Radius attachments again

The subject of radius turning attachments seems to crop up quite often. I needed a small number of M10 brass round headed screws, not enough to warrant ordering some, so I dug my attachment out in order to convert some hex heads to round heads.

I don't think this type would really lend itself to making at home, unless you really want a challenge! It's quite simple to set it for precise radii. It can of course be used with the feed screw parrallel with the spindle.

Yes the lathe is being run in reverse. No I'm not bothering to slot the heads, that's not needed in this case.

Tim

Tim Leech

Interesting!

How's that done? I can't see any kind of feed screw or such for that.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

If you look at the second pic, you'll see that the main body has a long flat face. The centre of the arc of the device is 1" outside that flat face. There's a 'gauge' supplied which slides into a dovetail slot in the bottom, it has a vertical dovetail facing the body. You set the gauge to be 1" away from the face, less the radius you want for convex, or plus the radius for concave. Then you set the tool to that knife edge, at one or other extreme of its travel. Job done.

Tim

Tim Leech

Nice tool but it looks expensive. What make is it & what size lathe will it fit. Can it cut balls.

Reply to
Salamanda

I'm sure it was expensive when new. It didn't cost me a fortune (bought a few years ago).

The pic is on a 6.5" CH CVA lathe, but really it will be useable on any lathe where the toolpost can hold it.

The maker was 'Habit'. Just like it says in the picture

Yes it can cut balls.

BTW the screw is held in an 'emergency collet' which has been tapped out to M10

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Are you noit getting a lot of bounce or whack off the tool as it comes into contact and goes out agian before you start to get the shape?

Your cutting edge only appears to have one fix in its line, aside from the clamp friction.

I'd have thought it would be on a worm connecting to the lead screw, but I suppose it weren't God who made it!!

Good bit of compatability.

-- Billy H

Reply to
Billy H

Not a worm, shows how much I use the gears!! I did mean a pinion off the lead screw rack.

My apologies.

Reply to
Billy H

If you're referring to reducing the hex to round, not a problem It's only brass

Not quite sure what you mean there? There are two clamping screws in use.

It's not an integral part of the lathe!

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech