Rant: Some scrap dealers have no standards

Andrew Mawson wrote:
<snip>

It was just the biggest they ever made. Perhaps a little underpowered, but impressive because of it's huge size.
Best wishes,
Chris
It's got nothing to do with the scrap man, that's just his bowl of rice.
It's all about supply and demand. If you feel that strongly about it, then buy it.
If you can't then does it matter who it goes to ?
One nice thing about the upturn is you can get rid of an old clunker or even half decent, no questions asked on condition, no tyre kickers or time wasters.
I know where there is an old Van Norman mill that I can probably get for 50 quid, 75 tops and it must weight 2 tonne so thats about 420 quid for a 2 hour job. Advertising this would be a waste of time, hour to collect it, 10 hours to waste on drongo's and then still not sell it.
Another point is that the average Bridgeport is now worth more scrap than it's resale value, something I have thought for a long while.
John S.
--
John Stevenson

In my youth the scrapyard was invariably a place of "wonderment", hundreds of cars, vans, trucks, diggers and the odd bit of a bus or aeroplane. Yards full of old machines waiting for the spare part values to increase enough for the scrapman to make his crust. There was one yard close to us where I can't remember the guy ever selling us anything he always had the part stacked up somewhere just wouldn't sell it - "no that's not for sale it will be worth good money one day" ?? His ilk replaced by the "off the shelf - previously owned" spare parts supermarket which itself is rapidly beign replace with the fenced off - NO ENTRY - yard where as John says they have no time to take things apart or deal with "customers" just weigh it in ship it out, and get the money. Part of the consumer revolution and certain to mean that current diggers will be impossible to keep going when they are much more than 10 years old - that they tell us is progress. To me it seems to be the exact opposite of the true meaning of re-cycling and GREEN living.
Reflective of Wales
jontom snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:
<snip>

You are absolutely right. While the latest diggers may have better designed chassis which are less prone to fatigue, they also have a plethora of electronics and plastic components which will be a nightmare to maintain as the machines age. One can reasonably argue that the machines built in the 1970s are more maintainable than those built today. And it's not just diggers. Many machines are becoming far too complicated to maintain in the long term. People don't seem to have realised yet that repair and reuse are more environmentally friendly than recycling.
Best wishes,
Chris
John Stevenson wrote:

Either you get my disgust, or you don't :-).
Chris

Speaking of which, I sent you an email a week or two back (can't remember to which address) regarding a job that a chap I know wants doing. Did you get it?
--
Nigel

When the only tools you have are a Matchmaker CNC Mill, a Colchester

No sorry mate didn't receive it. Since Virgin updated the servers a couple of weeks ago it's got worse, loads of spam that I wasn't getting before and I can read the list using agent but can't direct post as according to Agent,Virgin doesn't list this group [ so why can I read it? ]
Now stuck with the crap RC group or Google to post.
In article
snipped-for-privacy@stevenson-engineers.co.uk writes

I've just re-sent it.
Cheers,
--
Nigel

When the only tools you have are a Matchmaker CNC Mill, a Colchester
John Stevenson wrote:

That Van Norman sounds cool. But I've no way of transporting it, so I'm not going to express an interest and become a drongo.

How much does a Bridgeport weigh, and what is it worth for scrap now? I was under the impression that a good Bridgeport was worth about 1500.
Best wishes,
Chris

But they do re-cycle well so it's not that bad and the 3C was a turkey wasn't it?
Steve wrote:

No, the 3C kicked ass. It was, without much doubt, the definitive backhoe loader which everyone else subsequently copied.
Best wishes,
Chris

Damn. I could make use of a digger at 1000 but getting it to Keighley, West Yorkshire on a low loader would probably cost another 1000.
--
Roger Chapman

Yes this is a unhealthy situation,most scrap dealers are only in it for the money and nothing else,at the moment they are riding a wave,this situation can not go on at this rate,why are so many scrap dealers/collectors getting things for next to nothing,most have to only knock on a door and walk away with pounds worth of scrap for nowt.

What do you think scrap dealing is - a vocation? Of course they're in it for the money!
Ian

I'd rather been wondering that myself during this thread. The name "scrap dealer" ought to serve as some sort of notice that they're there to deal in scrap metal..
Sure, in times when business has been slow some of them may have been happy to keep and sell on unscrapped stuff, but that isn't the case now. And surely if you don't want something to be scrapped then selling it to a //scrap dealer// isn't the smartest move..
--
Andy Breen ~ Speaking for myself, not the University of Wales
"your suggestion rates at four monkeys for six weeks"
Ian wrote:

The point we were trying to make is that we don't think you should scrap good machines just to make money.
Chris
much like they were saying:

Ri-i-i-i-i-i-ight.
How's your application to the Charity Commissioners going? What do you mean "Which application?" - surely you're looking to make this retirement home that you're setting up for superannuated JCBs a charitable trust?
Oh, wait a mo... You're not actually doing it yourself? You're expecting somebody else to pay to transport and store this unwanted kit that you don't think should be scrapped? Hmmm...
Adrian wrote:

Amidst that barrage of sarcasm I get the impression that your opinion differs from mine. Am I right? If so, forget it. As I said to someone else earlier, either you get my disgust or you don't.
Chris
Peter A Forbes wrote:

You're right, but it doesn't make it any more excusable. It's like those property developers who buy large Victorian houses, tear them down and build shoebox flats in their place. It may be legal, but it's wasteful and destructive of our heritage.
With that, I'll call it a day. I don't think this discussion's going any further.
Best wishes,
Chris
Chris I can see where your coming from, but its like the thread a while ago where a chap sold his lister D and then was unhappy that the guy stripped it and sold it off in lots, the point is once it's sold the new owner they can do what ever they like with it. I'm sure it would make you cry to see how many Victorian fire places and ranges where smashed to bits years ago, but now there like rocking horse muck to find. but hey ho that life.
Rob