Rivet gun wanted

Not really *model* engineering, but someone here may know where there's something. I'm looking for a compressed air rivetting hammer, suitable for rivets up to 1/2" dia, or possibly 5/8". Any pointers would be appreciated. For one job only, so hoping not to spend a fortune!

Thanks Tim Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

Not for 1/2" Andrew, Tim might as well hit it with his dick to get the same results.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Andrew

Most of the rivets involved will be 3/8" dia., & I've wondered whether modifying a descaling chisel that I already have would be adequate for them - have you actually done this? Bear in mind that if the job happens there will be perhaps 300 rivets to set.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

They come in a variety of sizes, and for hull work using 5/8" upwards certainly need to be fairly substantial. My gut feeling is that my descaling chisel (cylinder main bore of about 1 1/8" AFAIR) might just about be of the right sort of scale for 3/8" rivets, but I don't know. One reason for considering taking on this job is to learn. I don't have an ambition to spend the rest of my life as a riveter, though!

(PARDON?)

EP museum will certainly be one place to ask. I believe new ones can still be bought, but it's the sort of thing that someone may have tossed in a corner 30 years ago, & find it's still there!

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

: >>

: >>Most of the rivets involved will be 3/8" dia., & I've wondered whether : >>modifying a descaling chisel that I already have would be adequate for : >>them - have you actually done this? Bear in mind that if the job : >>happens there will be perhaps 300 rivets to set. : >>

: >>Cheers : >>Tim : >

: >I think you are talking a different animal here, the 'proper' riveting : >guns are quite large and have a much larger cylinder than the chisel : >guns, and also use a lot more air. : >

: They come in a variety of sizes, and for hull work using 5/8" upwards : certainly need to be fairly substantial. My gut feeling is that my : descaling chisel (cylinder main bore of about 1 1/8" AFAIR) might : just about be of the right sort of scale for 3/8" rivets, but I don't : know. One reason for considering taking on this job is to learn. I : don't have an ambition to spend the rest of my life as a riveter, : though! : : (PARDON?) : : >Descaling hammers are similar in size, might be worth having a hunt : >round a dockyard, or Ellesmere Port museum might know someone ? : >

: >

: EP museum will certainly be one place to ask. : I believe new ones can still be bought, but it's the sort of thing : that someone may have tossed in a corner 30 years ago, & find it's : still there! : : Cheers : Tim : : Tim Leech : Dutton Dry-Dock : : Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs You need enough thump to expand the rivet in very few blows and then finish the head. I think an undersize gun would do a worse job than a sledgehammer! Brain wont recall the brand of gun we used for crane grabs but they were very heavy and needed a BSB to hold the dolly! chris

Reply to
Chris

interchangable

Tim,

Only on smaller (1/4") rivets, but then they were done cold and not many at that - perhaps 10 or so

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In my experience (3/8"-1" rivets) you can use the smaller size guns for rivets up to 1/2", provided that they are hot enough, and you don't want a snap head on both sides.

The important thing to remember is that the side you are not trying to deform must be held against the plate, and the plates being joined must be tightly together. The rivet can be held in place by pushing a large weight against the rivet, with a suitable snap in the end, or by using a second gun. If you are using a second gun it will probalby need to be a proper one so that you can get a snap in it, if that is what is required.

As to suppliers, the is an advert in traction adds

I have had no dealings with the firm, so cannot say how good they are or give any prices.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Baldry