Schaublin 13

Has anyone on the list got a Schaublin 13? I would be very interested to hear what this type of mill is like to operate. Good points and
bad. My main interest would be its use as a vertical mill as opposed to horizontal.
Richard
I have two. If I can help please mail direct.
--
Roland Craven
Nr. Exeter, Devon, UK

I have a Schaublin13 and find it an excellent machine with few snags. The unusual Y axis movement by cutter head movement instead of table movement works very well. The entire table can be temporarily removed to accomodate unusually large workpieces.
As with pretty well all universal mills the vertical/horizontal changeover is a bit of a pain. To avoid frequent changeovers I have a Harrison 600 horizontal mill and keep the Schaublin in the vertical configuration. Both mills have Int 30 spindles so cutters and cutter mounts are interchangeable between the two machines.
The vertical head is very rugged and OK up to 2000 RPM but for small work is not as convenient as a Bridgeport type quill feed. To circumvent this I have mounted a home brew 2MT quill feed spindle along side the Schaublin head and displaced 3.250" to the right. This I find very useful for high speed (3,200 rpm) milling and jig boring.
Jim
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 21:52:27 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Jim
Thanks for that, you and Roland have cleared my mind.
Richard