sort of OT - where to buy metals?

I'm just setting up my workshop to restore an old BSA (1969 B44 Victor Special for those interested) and need to get hold of one or two bits of metal, namely some aluminium sheet to make soft vice jaws and some lentghs of varying dia brass for soft drifts. What type fo firm sells this kind of thing. I live in bradford, West Yorks

tia

Antony

Reply to
antony.adshead

For the odd bits and pieces, you're probably better blagging it off someone here or a local engineering company that has a decent scrap bin :-))

Brass and Ali tend to be locked away rather than being scrapped as they have commercial value, but a good scrap metal dealer (not a car breaker!) should be able to sell you small quantities of metal from his stockpile.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

On 18 Jul 2005 10:38:56 -0700, antony.adsheadI... ...need to get hold of one or two bits

How much do you want to pay? If you want low/no cost, as Peter says, scrounge or pay beer money to someone local. If you want to pay more, but have the convenience of having it delivered to your door, try one or more of these:

eBay (e.g. seller name ukroy); or search 'aluminium sheet', 'brass bar' etc. Mail Order Metals (does a lot of autojumbles) Mallard Metals (10% discount for VMCC members) Noggin End Metals College Engineering Supply Chronos Kirjeng Model Engineering supplies

Google will find all of these, apart from the last one.

Reply to
John Montrose

An unrepresentative but hopefully useful list is here:

Charles

Visit

The free pages to buy and sell workshop equipment

Reply to
Charles Ping

Charles, Model and College Metals on your list no longer deal with model engineering supply (sadly). This change looks to have happened in the last month or two.

Reply to
Duncan Munro

Just down the road is Blackgates Engineering. 209 Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford. BD11 1EB. They stock metals in small quantities for the model engineer and the like.

Try

John M> On 18 Jul 2005 10:38:56 -0700, antony.adshead

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

Cheers Dick, that sounds just the job.

Antony