lidl digital caliper next Monday

6" digital caliper £9.99

no accuracy or resolution specified though...

Geo

Reply to
Geo

The energy monitor they're selling at 4.99 is also a bargain (if it's the same as the one I bought last year).

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

Adrian Godwin writes

How will we know if it IS the same?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Whittome

If I could remember where I put it, I'd have a look and tell you :-).

However, it has very similar functions. Close enough that it's probably worth risking a fiver ..

Given how difficult it was a few years ago to measure domestic appliance power without expensive lab gear, these devices are impressive and surprisingly cheap.

Maplin have one for about 12 quid which looks to have a clearer display (but possibly can't show several parameters at once).

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

And this Thursday Aldi have some nice bicycle attachments (I want a heart rate monitor toy).

Bill H Derby

Reply to
Bill H

and the following Thurday (28th) they have a digital caliper at 8.99 in a wooden box!!

Maurice

If anyone's making a trip to France this weekend you may like to know that Lidl over here are offering digital calipers from tomorrow at

12.99 Euro.

Russell.

Reply to
Russell Eberhardt

Aldi have them at £8.99 from tomorrow 28/7

Don Valentine

Reply to
Don Valentine

I bought one of these today- looks good for the money and readings seen consistent with my conventional vernier.

Also on offer, for about £6, is a vice with a suction base and rubber jaw covers.

Both would seem good for light hobby use.

Reply to
Brian Reay

You're lucky. I got there at 10:30 and they were sold out!

Reply to
Henry Springer

Loads in Trowbridge last night - price plus postage?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
Peter Sheppard

I picked one up, very suprised at the quality, and very pleased with the large display. It's a little gritty compared to my Mitutoyo, but the bigger display is nice. Worth every penny.

Joules

Reply to
Joules

Thanks for the kind offer but went to another store in nearby town yesterday and picked up one of the last two. Seems a serviceable bit of kit and accuarate enough on my micrometer test piece.

Reply to
Henry Springer

I just bought a couple from the local aldi -they had dozens left. I have in mind using them as a cheap readout on the lathe (like the one in this monthe MEW). I also bought a couple of the mixed nuts & bolts pack. An assortment of M5,M6 & M8 nuts, bolts & washers for 3.99

-should come in handy for odd jobs.

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Snap, except I bought 5 calipers in all, for a lathe and mill - Trowbridge aldi seems to be getting low, but they hadn't run out.

I nearly bought the set of small pliers for £3.99 too, but I already have a zillion of those, including a collection of unused Lindstroms from an earlier life, so .. I didn't

I might even get another caliper, as a spare for everyday workshop use. They also have the standard 4-wire outputs if you want to connect them to a DRO (though paying £160 for just a DRO panel seems a bit over-expensive, compared to £27 for 3 digital calipers).

They still have a few £24.99 drill presses left too BTW, if anyone is interested - and the tables look a bit better than the one I bought a year or two ago, which bends down if any real pressure is applied, and was the only really hard-to-fix bad point about it. I was very tempted to do a swap ...

Apart from some quill (but not shaft) wobblyness, quite fixable with a bit of shim, it was otherwise okay - and I have drilled quite a few 16 mm holes in mild steel with it without complaint (after tightening the belts), as well as using some hole saws on 3mm stainless sheet.

Needs a bit of TLC, so not for the busy workshop - but okay for occasional use, especially if the table bending (and quill wobblyness) is sorted.

BTW, how many people in this list are in or near Trowbridge? Seems over-represented.

I went to the show (in trowbridge park) today and saw a traditional vernier caliper (which I would swear couldn't even be read to 0.02 mm, never mind being accurate to 0.02 mm) for £7.99. Made my purchases seems even better.

;)

On another point, I bought a bit of headstone from a mason at the show. He was selling squares for pot stands or chopping boards, but I though it might make a good surface table. It's granite, and the faint reflection seems undistorted so it's probably flat over short distances - over longer distance I have used my stright-edges to see if it's flat, and it seems flatter than my straightedges!

Is there any simple way to test for flatness?

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Peter Fairbrother writes

Yes - Nip back and get a couple more chunks. Then blue the three, one to the other.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Whittome

snip

Peter, you might find these displays work out a bit cheaper?

is another ebay shop that sells them but a quick search did not turn any up just now.

Regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

That Ebay seller, Pinvise is Chronos BTW

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Hello,

I'm at Frome Road, Trowbridge.

Where are you?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
Peter Sheppard

Sheepcote Barton, Trowbridge, behind Tesco's in the newish estate.

Tim Bird is local-ish, from Frome. There are a few more local list readers too, perhaps hiding in the woodwork.

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother