Taper Spec's

I'm gradually coming to learn all the variants on a theme when it comes to machine tool tapers, but I still can't quite see what the differences are between 30Int, Cat30 and BT30 for example, apart from the obvious mechanical differences in respect of holding drawbar threads etc.

Is there a quick way of classifying these as far as interchangeability?

Hope I'm not the only dunce when it comes to these! :-))

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Peter,

My understanding is that in each case, the actual taper is the same, but the variation is in the ends.

Drawbar end: (some Imperial threads, some metric, and some with a 'pull stud' for auto changers).

Drive flange end : (where some have a single flange like the QC 30 on my Interact, some have a 'double flange' for a tool changer to grab, and some have no shoulder at all.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Just to complicate things even more, there are variations wcich can all be regarded as 30 INT (AKA 30 NMTB) for all intents & purposes. AIUI all ISO 30 will fit 30 int machines (subject to drawbar thread) but not all 30 int stuff will fit an ISO 30 machine: similarly QC30 looks like 30 int until you come to try 30 int stuff on a QC spindle: some dimensions need to be spot on, where for 30 int it's less critical. Not absolutely sure whether ISO 30 actually covers the QC30 spec, but I think you'll find that a lot of what you buy new now as ISO 30 will fit QC30 - after all, it shouldn't really cost much more to make it so.

A few minutes poring over the relevant pages of th J&L catalogue might clarify things a bit. If you download

that might give you a better idea, it includes a lot of standard taper dimensions.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech