Thick Felt Pad Source?

Can anyone suggest a source of thick felt as a sheet? Soft stuff about 4mm to 5mm uncompressed would be ideal. I can only find thin craft material or small furnature pads on ebay. Thanks, Scrim

Reply to
Scrim

You could try:

They sell a range of felt in different thickness for the musical instrument repair industry - though a great deal of it will be the compressed stuff.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

A piano repairer might be a good person to cultivate if you only need odd pieces, they use lots of felt of different grades. Even better if they do Player Piano repairs.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

I got some felt to use as way wipers on my 10" Logan from an outfit that sells lithography supplies. This is old-fashioned lithography, etched stone, one copy at a time. Apparently they use the felt as a blanket either over or under the stone or paper.

It comes in sizes ranging 1mm to over 10mm in thickness and the rolls go up to 48" and 56" in width. Since I only needed small pieces, they sold me several small cut-offs in various sizes.

I would expect that you should be able to find a similar shop in or around London, or perhaps near a University with a strong fine arts or printing program.

Just a thought,

Rick

Reply to
Dr. Spiff

Reply to
Scrim

Got a lump right here... hang on, I'll give it a squeeze..

Nope, no good..I'd say that it compresses about 25%, if that.

50% takes a LOT of pressure. Sounds like it's too dense for your purposes.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Reply to
Don Valentine

You could try making some yourself. You'll need unspun fleece from a craft shop, wash it in soft soap and whilst in the warm, sudsy water, tread it with bare feet until satisfied with the result. It will not be consistent, but that might be useful in this context as you could marry up various layers.

And your feet will be very soft and clean!

regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

consistent,

various

try your local glass supplier. They use it as a mat to lay the glass on for cutting. Used to use it where I worked but cannot remember who we purchased it from.

Reply to
sherwood

Thanks for all the ideas folks! At the moment I'm trying some self adhesive stuff meant for putting on the bottom of furnature so it doesn't scratch on the floor. It's a bit too hard, but I'm resisting making my own as long as possible! Cheers, Scrim

Reply to
Scrim

I dont know if this is suitable for you but there is this guy living near me who restores and repairs pianos he has a web site .....he sells felt on it ..all sorts bit pricey though......but when you cant find the exact stuff anywhere else......you have no choice..... had a length of what is called "baize felt" off him today.

4 foot long by 1.5 inches wide 4mm thick dense stuff this is enough to do six bridgeports. =A310. not that im doing six bridgepoprts...but it will do my wipers on all my machines. the guy is called Paul Bexton in north wales his website with a link to the felt and materials page page.

OR for the stuff suitable for a bridgeport

all the best...mark

Reply to
mark
4 foot long by 1.5 inches wide 4mm thick dense stuff this is enough to do six bridgeports. £10. not that im doing six bridgepoprts...but it will do my wipers on all my machines. the guy is called Paul Bexton in north wales his website with a link to the felt and materials page page.

OR for the stuff suitable for a bridgeport

all the best...mark

Mark,

I always understood that way wipers should be none absorbant to prevent bacterial growth - so I've always used neoprene rubber - am I missing somthing?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

mmmmm the felt would be drenched in way oil......dont think any bacteria are going to be growing on that. the felt also acts as a reservior for oil , when you forget to oil it.....so lubing .....even when oil-less i dont think there is anything wrong in using neoplrene........ just do what you think is best

Reply to
mark

I 'spose I'm really thinking my machines get soaked in water soluble suds - I had a Colchester Student some years ago that used to leave nice black marks on the bed if left overnight - after a soluble oil turning session. Stopped when I pulled the original wipers and cut some from neoprene.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson