Source for 3" thick HDPE sheet or bar?

Ok, so HDPE is not exactly metal. But it's for a metalworking project...

I need some 3" thick HDPE, specifically: 16.5"L x 6"W x 3"T (2 pieces). Does anyone know of a source for this? So far, the most I've been able to find is

2-1/4" thick.

Thanks, Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

machine it down if tolerance is an issue. It usually comes +/- about 1/16" (sometimes more) at those thicknesses.

If UHMW is ok, let me know and I can cost it for you. It might also be available on e-bay as scrap from someone at better prices.

Koz

Reply to
Koz

UHMW would work fine (as would aluminum). I'm using this to make elevating platform blocks for a milling machine, so it simply needs to be rigid, durable, and impervious to the typical fluids (nothing exotic) used in machining operations. A dark color plastic would probably be preferrable to a light color as it will show less grime over the years, but that's purely esthetics and is not a critical issue.

The reason I secified HDPE is because I figured that would be the least expensive material that would satisfy my requirements.

Of course, I'm open to other ideas/suggestions.

Tolerance is not an issue; +/- 1/16" would be fine, as long as both pieces are closely "equal" in height.

Thanks. I have no idea what the current market prices are for UHMW, but I'm trying to keep this under $36. Otherwise, it would probably be cheaper to go with 6" x 3" rectangular steel tubing.

I've looked before, but I'll have another go at it.

Thanks, Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

I think I have a chunk you could cut two of these from. Ill measure tommorow after I get home. I scrounged a decent sized slab of it some time back. Email me so Ill be reminded and Ill have your correct email addy to send the info.

Gunner

Gunner

Thank you Gunner! I sent you a private email last night. If, for some reason, you don't receive it, let me know here.

Regards, Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver