Timing belt drives

Just been reading up on toothed belt drives etc. Bought a book back in March at one of the USA swap meets, written by the original inventor.

Anyone care to take a guess when they first came out and were in commercial use?

No prizes...

Peter

Peter A Forbes

In that case stuff it :-)

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Fenners brought them into their catalogue in the 1960's, I suppose you're going to tell us it was a long time beofre that

1930's?

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

The first *diesel* engine that I know of which used them (UK market) was the awful Ford York, particularly awful because the timing drive was unreliable, which must have been circa 1970, they had been used for timing drives in petrol engines for some years prior to that but my guess is still within the 1960's for timing drives.

Go on, amaze us!

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

"Peter A Forbes" wrote

I think I remember their use on super chargers for drag racers in the mid

60's, say five years from invention...

My gess, 1960.

-- Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device there is a fool greater than the proof.

To reply remove AT

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

The book was published in 1954, the solution to the problem was around the late

1940's.

The book shows loads of applications including a Homelite chain saw, a Skil wood planer, sewing machine, drill press. typewriter (Royal) cheque cancelling machine (Cummins Business Machine Co) and also many larger applications including a 7" wide belt from a 128hp motor, so the belts were pretty much developed by the mid 1950's.

The book is "Timing Belt Drive Engineering Handbook", by Richard Y. Case who is given as the inventor of the belt, McGraw-Hill, 1954.

US Patents 2507852 and 2397312

Peter

Peter A Forbes