Reminiscing

Gentlemen, Just reading about Chris Crocker-White and his engine has reminded me of my first engine a "Lister D". It was bought as a runner but needed work so took it home and put in the garage on two bits of wood so that flywheel cleared floor. Put in petrol and cleaned plug, swung it over and it started, stood back to admire just as it fell off wood and proceeded to spin like a top. Ever tried to stop a lump of spinning cast iron before it did any damage, I managed after several revolutions to grab the plug lead and rip it off the plug then shut the garage door and went inside. Next time it was bolted to a piece of wood. :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Heheh, I've done just that, after I restored it I started it and it was jumping all over the place, so then I nailed it to the wood so that I could test it properly. Good times :)

I hope i've got many more good times ahead when I get some more engines. Saw a couple of nice examples of Lister A today, reminded me how much I like them. Also realised I quite like the Ruston PT, sounds very nice in my opinion!

Regards Chris

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White

Chris, what part of uk are you.

Martin P

Chris Crocker - White wrote:

Reply to
campingstoveman

North Cornwall matey. :)

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White

Close to sheep-shagger country.... :-))

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Never had that happen in quite the same way, but when the Ruston was run for the first time with the single flywheel, it worked its way across the concrete and almost off the lip into the trench where the new wall was being built, that was pretty alarming at the time as it took so damm long to wind down once you had shut the fuel off. It was on the steel frame which was to be its permanent mounting, and the whole thing was resting on wood blocks.

The second time was also with the Ruston, when the key came out of the second flywheel (I hadn't banged it in hard enought) and I heard it fly past my ear with a sort of humming noise and wondered what it was. Only when I stopped the engine, and the flywheel didn't, did I realise what had happened. The thing took ages to stop, and I had to use a bit of cloth to act as a brake to save the flywheel doing too much damage to the shaft, and the cloth ended up smouldering in my hand!

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Hi All, I'm often amused by these non-Celtic types (that's PC for English). As soon as I mention I live in Wales and keep a flock of sheep, I'd say about 3 out of 10 can't help mentioning sheep - sh*gging. :-)

To anyone who's sheared a sheep's backside after a good meal of Spring grass, the very idea seems as unlikely as being abducted by aliens! Also, a cuckolded ram could be a nasty adversary!

Please do not read anything political into this, names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Arthur G

---------------------------

---------------------------

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

Not to mention that wonderful aroma of ammonia from a patch of wet June maggots eh?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@cwcom.net John Lloyd - Cymru/Wales

John.LloydUNSPAM

Hmmm... ponies are probably as bad after fresh sping grass :-))

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Please stop this!

Several of my younger ewes have been upset by this when I caught them reading the newsgroup earlier. Makes 'em harder to catch later.

Just finished shearing a couple of days ago and would tend to agree - even though mine are blonde (with handles) at this time of year :-)

Paul

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

(under construction)

Reply to